Can the ball on my nose be reduced? (photo)

Tip rhinoplasty

Yes, the ball on the tip of your nose can often be reduced by a tip rhinoplasty. Best of luck with your decision to move forward.

Tip surgery is complicated surgery, but it can make a huge difference in the appearance.

See the "Web reference" link, just below my response. I made a computer morph of your nose, and an animation of the morph, to show the changes that are possible for your nose in truly expert hands.The two cartilages that form the tip of your nose are strong. They make the tip of your nose look wide, look like a ball. They also tend to make the tip of the nose protrude strongly forward. You didn't submit a profile photo, but I wouldn't be surprised to find that you might want the tip of your nose to be elevated and to come back closer to your face on that view. You should understand that the changes I demonstrated in the morph require advanced techniques, techniques that most plastic surgeons cannot handle.  Be sure to read the section in the "Web reference" link on how to stay out of trouble while searching for a rhinoplasty surgeon. Your nose is also a good example of why computer imaging is mandatory in rhinoplasty. You need to know exactly what the surgeon is planning to accomplish -- what features he thinks he can change, and by how much he thinks he can change them -- so you know whether it's enough to be meaningful to you, and whether he understands your wishes enough to address all of your priorities. Then, he must show you before and after photos to prove that he can actually accomplish what he draws on the computer.

Steven M. Denenberg, MD
Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bulbous tip

Thank you for your post and concern. The lower third of the nose is comprised of cartilage in the shape of an "M." You were born with a strong lower cartilage and a lot of that has to do with genetics. Reshaping of the cartilage in a conservative fashion can give you more tip definition and a softer appearance but most importantly, a natural looking nose. Also skin thickness plays a keyrole with healing and can hide small defects of the cartilage after surgery if you have thicker skin. Hope this helps!Dr. Miguel

George S. Miguel, DO
Troy Facial Plastic Surgeon

Reshaping "ball" or bulbous tip nose

Yes, the shape of your nasal tip could be improved through a rhinoplasty. Your "ball" shaped, or bulbous, nasal tip is a result of the underlying cartilage. This cartilage can be reshaped using conservative cartilage excision, grafting, and suture techniques to help refine and reshape your nose, and improve the overall balance of your face. Although it is somewhat difficult to tell from your photo, the skin thickness of your nose also plays an important factor in how much nasal tip definition that can be achieved. I would encourage you to seek out a consultation with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon for a full evaluation and to discuss treatment options. Good luck!

Sachin S. Pawar, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can the ball on my nose be reduced?

Yes the ball on your nose can be reduced. I would have to see other views to suggest what other areas need to be worked on.

Curtis Perry, MD
Downey Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can the ball on my nose be reduced?

Yes, your bulbous tip can be reduced with Rhinoplasty surgery.  A full Rhinoplasty will give you nasal balance.  Consult with board certified plastic surgeons who are highly experienced.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Correction of the Bulbous Tip

A ball-shaped, or bulbous nasal tip, can be corrected with rhinoplasty surgery.  Typically cartilage resection, suture techniques, and possible cartilage grafting can be utilized to provide you with a more refined nasal tip.  I suggest in person consultation with a surgeon specializing in rhinoplasty surgery.  I have provided a link below.  Good Luck!

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can the Ball on My Nose be Reduced?

Yes, your bulbous tip can be reduced so you achieve better definition. You should consider a full rhinoplasty to improve nasal balance.

Closed rhinoplasty approach for bulbous tip reduction

The bulbous nasal tip can be reduced  with a closed  rhinoplasty approach with all the incisions placed on the inside of the nose. To reduce the bolus tip requires suture techniques and a conservative cartilage removal. It's also important to make sure the remainder of the nose balances with the new tip, so a full rhinoplasty is required. For more information and many before and after examples a bulbous tip reduction, please see the link and the video below

Can the ball on my nose be reduced?

The areas that concern you can be realistically improved with an artistically performed rhinoplasty. Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best surgery. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else. I would suggest that you find a surgeon with extensive rhinoplasty experience certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. The length of the procedure, cost, and the specific operative steps to achieve an ideal cosmetic result vary from patient to patient and would depend on the findings at your consultation examination. Robert Singer, M.D., FACS La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon