What is the difference between a full c and small d in ccs? Thank you.

What is the difference between a full c and small d in ccs?

Thank you for the question.  There is no reliable correlation between the number of cc utilized and increase in breast cup size achieved. The commonly utilized formula of "200 to 250 cc equates to one breast cup size" is not accurate in many cases, in my opinion. Ultimately, careful communication of your goals, careful measurements (dimensional planning),  careful selection of appropriate breast implants and skillful execution of the procedure will be important steps in achieving your goals.  

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work. 

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural”  or “full C or small D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.  Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate. 

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery. 
I hope this (and the attached link) help.

Breast Size

This is a difficult question to answer since every patient is different.  I would say 100-200cc will bring you from one cup to the next.  I recommend an in-office examination as well as a detailed discussion with a surgeon who you are comfortable with and who is a board-certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Best wishes! Dr. Desai
Harvard Educated, Beverly Hills & Miami Beach Trained, Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Cup size

Unfortunately cup size does not correlate with implant volume. In general, a cup increase may be 150-200 cc's for most patients.

Small D vs. Full C

Hello! It is not possible to create a breast according to an exact final cup size. It is best to provide your surgeon the "look" you are going for, and understand the final breast size may not exactly fit a particular cup. There is no correlation between breast cup size and "cc" volume. A given volume will create a different breast size in different width/height chest dimension.Best of luck!

Michele A. Shermak, MD

Bra Cup Size Definition

Bra cup sizes are not a volume.  For example a 32 D cup on average is about 500 grams (roughly also 500 cc).  A 42 B cup bra is about 1700 grams or cc's, almost 3 times as much volume!The cup size is a ratio of the diameter of the footprint of the breast in comparison to the projection, or how much it sticks out from the chest.Pick the look you like that also fits in the width of your chest and provides you with body balance.  Make sure your surgeon is in agreement (he/she can fit the implant into the available space without creating some kind of secondary long term or short term problems).  Don't worry about what cup size that happens to be.Best to you and good luck with your surgery!

Deborah Ekstrom, MD
Worcester Plastic Surgeon

Bra Sizes

Bra sizes are not standardized and vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. Likewise, the change in breast size per cc will vary from patient to patient. Recommend you see someone with at least 10-15 years of experience with this. Also a VECTRA imaging machine may help especially in communication.Hope this helps. Best of luck.Leland Deane MD FACSManhattan, Garden City, Babylon NY

Leland Deane, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

# of cc's in any given cup size

Unfortunately, bra cup size is completely arbitrary. It means little to nothing in regards to the actual implant volume used for any given surgery because there is no true standard that manufacturers use to create the bras. It can be whatever any particular brand name wants it to be. In my practice, I have patients show me photos of what they want in terms of breast size and appearance and I choose the implant that will achieve that look for them personally, based on their unique anatomy. Not every surgeon does this, but in my practice, this is the most reliable method.Discuss your desired aesthetic with your surgeon and bring photos of breasts that you like. Your surgeon should be able to guide you to a correct implant volume.Good luck.

Jonathan R. Fugo, DO
Newburgh Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. It is difficult to quantify exactly.  It depends on your individual breastanatomy.  The size of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

The right size for you

It is very difficult to determine the best lift you will need (recommended based on your photos) or the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 300 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. The same process goes for just filling in the upper part of your breast without becoming much larger. Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the link below including silicone vs saline implants