I am 23 days post op after a breast implants and I discovered a hole under my right breast. What should I do? (Photos)

I noticed 2 days ago that I had some discharge under the tape under my right breast where the two incisions meet. Upon closer investigation I see a hole. I emailed a picture to my PS office (I am two hours away) and was advised this is quite common and that I should leave it open with polysporin and let it heal over. I am concerned because the hole is about the size of the end of my pinky finger and seems rather deep. Should I be packing it instead? Or does it need more intervention than that?

Hole at incision area

Thank you for your question.I would suggest seeing your surgeon or his/her  nurse in person. Until then, follow all instructions given to you by your surgeon. Best of luck,

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question. Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Small hole

If the implant is exposed, then that is a problem and may require the implant to be removed. If it is just soft tissue exposed, then local wound care may be all that you need.   Best to be seen in person.

The real question is whether the implant is exposed and if it is then the area will not close on its own.  So see your surgeon ASAP or another expert in the field and be evaluated.
Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Hole At T Junction Under Breast After Breast Lift With Implants - What Should I Do?

Follow your plastic surgeons advice but also see him or her within the next two days. 
With a standard Wise pattern lift with or without implant, the most common area of wound breakdown is at the T junction in the inframammary fold.  If your plastic surgeon used the inferior pedicle technique, then you may have sub Q tissue and muscle separating the hole from the breast implant.  This is most often treated with topical dressings and antibiotic ointments.  If the hole goes all the way through to the implant, i.e. exposed implant, then more aggressive treatments with oral antibiotics may be needed.  
Since the best rule in medicine as well as other places is plan for the worse but hope for the best, if you were my patient, I would want to see you as soon as possible to get the appropriate treatment regiment started.

Hole under my breast after surgery

Thank you for your question. It is not unusual to happen at this area. If no communication to with implant local wound care will solve and it heals by itself. If anything deep you need to be evaluated. Please see your PS for evaluation.

The concern is that the implant is exposed

If the implant is not exposed or infected, this should heal on its own. If the implant IS exposed (visible) and is therefore infected, it will need to be removed and replaced several months later. It is critical to be seen in person to determine which it is.

I am 23 days post op after a breast implants and I discovered a hole under my right breast. What should I do?

Thank you for your picture and questions. It appears that you have a small open wound in the area where the incisions meet. This is the most common area to have problems. There is a possibility that the area could go on to heal without complication, but there is concern because there is an implant underneath that could be at risk for infection. You should contact your surgeon and be seen and evaluated as soon as possible. Follow your surgeon's instructions regarding care. There is still a chance of a satisfactory outcome.Best of luck!

Hole under breast after breast surgery

There is most likely a deep stitch that must be removed.  You will have to do this yourself or make the trip to your doctor.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Incision Opening After Breast Surgery

It appears that you had a breast lift with breast implants performed. It is not uncommon for the area that you are concerned about to open after surgery. This area is under the most tension and has the worst blood supply. The most important things to be certain of is that you do not have an infection, and that the implant is not exposed. Your plastic surgeon will know which technique of lift you have had. I normally place the breast implants under the muscle, make certain that the muscle and skin incisions do not line up and repair the muscle directly. This way, if the area you have identified opens, the implant is protected from exposure.Usually these areas heal in a few weeks. Packing is more likely to open the wound up, than to allow it to close, and is only helpful for deep wounds or wounds with undermining where the skin is trying to close before the base of the wound has healed. Usually local care with antibiotic ointment (polysporin) and a dressing to keep the area from being rubbed by the bra is all that is needed. However, if you develop an infection, antibiotics are necessary. The area appears red in your photographs, but color is difficult to judge in pictures. If there is any doubt, make the trip to see you plastic surgeon. 

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon