How long does it take for gynecomastia surgery (incision and liposuction) to heal?

I have had the surgery 6 days ago. My doctor suggested that I do a massage and also ultrasound massage which would help. Do you think IT is a good idea to use a regular massage as well as ultrasound massage for this reason?

What to Expect Post Gynecomastia Surgery

Following #Gynecomastia #surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation #process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Healing after gynecomastia

Most of the healing after gynecomastia operation is accomplished by about six weeks. It probably isn't completely healed for about six months. Massaging may accelerate this a little bit, but your tissues have to do most of the work.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon

I dont think ultra sound is necessary

i think massage can be helpful but most of my patients do not bother to get them. i just show them what i want them to do for a few minutes each day. of course, getting a professional massage is great but i do not think it is necessary. i have never recommended ultrasound. it is not bad to do it and it could be helpful to speed up healing but i believe after 6-12 months, the results will be the same.

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon