Hard lumps under nipples and they are sore. Is my gyno getting worse?

Past few months my nipples have gotten sensitive and I feel like the hard mass underneath has gotten somewhat bigger. I'm 23 and have had a minor lump under both nipples since I was a teen but it has become more noticeable. Has anyone else had this happen?

Doctor Answers 5


Is there any chance you have taken any "over the counter" supplements in the last few months.  This is such a common story in my practice. In either case, a visit with a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area that specializes in the operation will set your mind at ease. If surgery is necessary it can be done through a tiny almost invisible incision inside your armpit. Good luck with your research. 

Paramus Plastic Surgeon
3.8 out of 5 stars 25 reviews

About Gynecomastia and the Treatment Options

According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades.
About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement.

Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.

There are three types of surgical #treatment #options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal #candidate.

Jed H. Horowitz, MD, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 109 reviews

Hard lumps under nipples and they are sore. Is my Gyno getting worse?

Thank you for your question.

It is difficult to say without seeing any pictures or examining you. You should have your chest examine by a Plastic Surgeon in your area who can evaluate you and help you with your problem. 

All The Best !

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 163 reviews


How should I choose a surgeon? Choose carefully. The decision is yours.
Advice to assist in making your selection.Only a board certified plastic surgeon 1. Experience matters. Choosing a surgeon increases the likelihood that they have seen a case similar to yours in the past. Selecting a surgeon whose practice is focused on gynecomastia exclusively is also an indicator of experience. 2. Results matter. The more before-and-after pictures, the better. Pay attention whether the surgeon is confident enough to show multiple angles of the same patient. 3.Only gynecomastia Reviews matter. 4. Expertise matters. Is your surgeon recognized by the profession as an authority in the field? Have they authored books or medical journal articles regarding your surgery? Be realistic about your expectations. Also, revision surgery tends to be significantly more difficult than initial surgery.

Mordcai Blau, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 74 reviews


I appreciate your concern, but physical exam would be helpful. It appears you possibly have mild Gynecomastia which is usually treated by liposuction alone or direct excision. The scars are small and well hidden. Insurance may or may not cover it, depends on your policy. Check out the link below to an article I wrote about Gynecomastia, as you may find it helpful. Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon in your area, good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.