Is otoplasty worth getting done or am I overreacting? (Photos)

I feel like I've been conscious aware of my ears my whole life. Been thinking about getting otoplasty for 5 years now! But my family keep saying it's perfectly fine. They think I shouldn't change what God made. My response is I'm not I'm just pushing it back a lil but I understand what they're saying. I just need advice? I want more confidence but I don't want to buy it. I dont know, I want to really bad then again I don't? If I do, Prominent ear or both ears?

Worth the money?

Getting any type of Cosmetic Procedure done is a very personal decision that can only be made by the patient. It's always nice to have a good support system but it is the patient who has to live with whether they choose to have a procedure done or not. You have to do what you feel is right for you to make you happy and more comfortable in your own skin. I recommend that you have a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your questions and concerns, go over all your options, and decide if getting an otoplasty is the right decision for you.

Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is otoplasty worth getting done?

The only person who can say whether or not a cosmetic procedure needs to be done or not is the patient themselves. This is a very personal decision, not one that should be made by others. If you are not sure then perhaps you are not ready for this procedure. At the least I would recommend that you consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for an examination and a discussion of your goals. This may help aid you in making your decision. I hope this helps.

Otoplasty worth it?

When something bothers you for that long it would be worth visiting with 2 or 3 plastic surgeons who do a lot of Otoplasty and see what your options are and what  results you can expect. Making an informed decision is always best. You may change your mind or decide to have this done. Most patients find the recovery is much less sore  than they thought it would be. Because you do not have hair covering your ears, you will have redness and swelling for a few weeks that will be visible. Most men find the tradeoff in the change they can see to be worth it. Best Wishes.

James A. Hoffman, MD
Saint Paul Plastic Surgeon

Ear Surgery | Otoplasty

Thank you for your question about ear surgery.

In general, ear surgery with otoplasty is safe and effective with low risk.  If you really want it done, yes, it is elective.

To know the specific details, see two or more experienced, board-certified Plastic Surgeons in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Otoplasty candidate

Only the patient can answer the question as to whether or not they wish to proceed with a cosmetic procedure to pin the ears back. An otoplasty procedure involves recreating the anti-helical fold and tucking the ear back closer to the head. Either one or both ears can be performed, depending upon the patient's desires. In our practice we perform most otoplasty procedures under local anesthesia as an outpatient procedure.

Large Ear Correction

Be it family, friends or even a Plastic surgeon No one should tell you what to do. The wish to change should come from you. 
As Plastic surgeons we commonly see this scenario. Personally, I don't think God should be brought into it. We change what God has made every day when we create roads, dans, buildings. When we treat all kinds of disease or congenital malformations. But then again why would Gid create surgeons and others if He did not want us creating and changing things?)

if you are tired of living with this condition and want a change consult with an ABPSorg certified Plastic surgeon and learn what can be done for you. 

Peter A Aldea. MD
Memphis, TN