Why Do I Have Ridges on Cheeks After Facelift? (photo)

I am nine months post op and I still have ridges on my cheeks. Will they go away and what is the best course of treatment to help them disappear? Thank you

Cheek Ridges after Facelift

This is a good question – and I am sorry that you have to ask it.  Common irregularities after a facelift surgery would be resolved by your stage of healing. What is most important to your circumstance is the of facelift you have had performed and the fashion in which it was performed. When excellent pull is applied, but the slack is not taken up or removed the result can lead to bulging in regions that are unnatural. This type of result does not change unless a revision facelift is performed.
Be healthy and be well,
James M. Ridgway, MD, FACS

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ridges on cheeks after facelift

In general, the side effects of a facelift may include:

1) Swelling
2) Hematoma
3) Bruising
4) Irregularities

After 9 months, it is abnormal to have a bump on your cheek as shown in your photo. It appears to be edema or a pocket of fluid, and should be evaluated by your surgeon. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Cheek bulges after a face lift

Thank you for your question about your face lift result.

• this is not a normal face lift result,
  • fluid, infection, scar or reaction to purse-string sutures can cause this,
  • unless your surgeon is a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and has the face lift experience to deal with this, I suggest a second opinion,
  • the ridges are unlikely to improve much on their own. Sorry about the problem. Hope this helps.

Ridges After Facelift Operation

Your question is a good one in that it may help other women with similar problems. First of all, 9 mos is an appropriate time period to wait before asking about options for a repair. Second your problem can under no circumstances be considered "normal". Third, you used the plural of "cheeks", making it seem as though you have the problem on both sides. If this is true then the problem is most likely due to the procedure performed. The ridge seems to be some sort of SMAS tightening done medially with either swelling or laxity or both laterally. Regardless, a revision will most likely be necessary even if these sutures could be massaged free as you would then lose any tightening of the lower cheeks and jawline. Have an honest discusion with your real Plastic Surgeon and I'm sure the two of you can come up with a plan to fix your issue.

Paul S. Howard, MD, FACS
Hoover Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Question

Without your records and op note, I cannot answer this. A second opinion surgeon needs these records to give a response. Discuss this with your surgeon. All the best

Why Do I Have Ridges on Cheeks After Facelift?

From the photo provided, this ridge and associated area of swelling could be the leading edge of a suture-type lift or from something else.  You should ask the plastic and cosmetic surgeon that performed your Face Lift.

Swollen cheek after facelift

Your bulge is not normal.  What does your surgeon say about it?  And if being dismissive, get a second opinion.

Curtis Wong, MD

Cheek swelling 9 months after facelift is not okay

The cheek swelling you have appears to be fairly large. I would guess that this represents a seroma, or fluid collection, related to your surgery. Only an exam by your surgeon can confirm this. Its fairly typical to have some ridges and irregularity to the facial skin a few weeks after facelift surgery, but these issues smooth out with time. 

Facelift Surgery

Dear Canadian Alien, I would need to perform a direct examination to give a proper diagnosis. You should not have ridges especially at nine months post surgery and certainly as drastic as your photograph shows. This is an extremely unusual result and I would certainly see your treating surgeon for some answers regarding your concerns asap! Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

If this is bilateral, this would be extremely unusual but would speak to something technical as a part of the surgery and less likely a random fluid collection or hematoma.  This does look like a parotid outline, but only a physical exam will help to explain the results in your case.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA