What Foods Should One Eat After Rhinoplasty?

Whatfoods should be eaten after Rhinoplasty, and for how long in terms of weeks before returning to a normal diet? Would weight gain shakes be good substitutes for food? Because I would imagine that having to pass stool with solid foods would cause the same strain as lifting heavy items.

Keep things cool and no spicy foods after Rhinoplasty

Keeping things cool and not spicy will only help. This will cool the area and keep things from oozing. Hot liquids and spicy foods will tend to dilate your blood vessels and lead to more bruising and swelling. Keeping your head elevated will also be beneficial. Afrin nasal sprays or nasal constrictors can help too. Nasal irrigation will clean the nose as well. Icing immediately after the surgery and for 48 hours can keep things cool and less swollen.

Sometimes your doctor will think about steroids to keep swelling down as well, and you can ask your physician about this. I usually prescribe a medrol dose pack for excessive swelliing.

But back to foods, there is not a lot of scientific studies looking into the influence of foods on results of Rhinoplasty (nose job / nose plastic surgery / nose cosmetic surgery / rhino plasty / rino plasty). Most suggestions are based on common sense and the general sense of the surgeon.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

No special diet for rhinoplaty

Except for the first 24 - 48 hours after Rhinoplasty, no special diet is required. For the first 24 -48 hours after the surgery, I advise my patients to eat a cool, soft, light diet.

The goals are 1 avoid postop nausea and vomiting 2 hot foods dilate blood vessels and can increase the chance of bleeding.

Constipation is caused by narcotic pain medications. My Rhinoplasty patients do not experience significant discomfort and we avoid pain meds that cause constipation.

Richard L. Dolsky, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Foods to eat after rhinoplasty

There really are no specific food restrictions after a rhinoplasty.  I would say get foods that you enjoy that do not cause pain when you chew on them. Sometimes patients have an uncomfortable feeling when they open their mouth widely after surgery.

Post Rhinoplasty Diet

You start with liquids for the first few hours, then soft food for the first evening. Starting the next day start your regular diet. Using protein shakes can cause lack of fiber and then constipation. Straining from that can lead to a nosebleed after a rhinoplasty. So, fiber in the diet should be resumed as soon as possible.

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

There are typically no dietary restrictions following rhinoplasty surgery.

We ask our patients to take arnica supplements postoperative rhinoplasty to keep bruising and swelling to a minimum. Regular diet is the norm after rhinoplasty and we encourage our patients to drink extra water during the recovery period.Hope this helps.Dr Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Foods to Eat After Nose Job

Try to eat soft, simple foods after your nose job, especially in the initial days immediately following your procedure. Make sure you are keeping hydrated by drinking sufficient water, and eat foods that you know your body can digest. I try to advise my patients to steer clear of spicy foods and of foods that are high in sodium, as salt is known to increase and prolong swelling.

Diet After a Rhinoplasty

The truth is that their no real science that suggest any particular diet.  We know that if you eat salty foods your face and hence your nose may swell.  Otherwise knock yourself out and eat what you like.  Clearly you want to stay hydrated as surgery and pain meds can make you constipated.

Rady Rahban, MD

Post-Rhinoplasty Diet

Good question! Every surgeon should have their own post-rhinoplasty protocol that would typically include information regarding what to eat after surgery. I recommend that patients drink as much as possible after surgery. Water and gatorade are great choices, however I suggest that my patients stay away from carbonated and caffeinated beverages. For the first 24 hours I suggest that my patients stay away from major protein or complex foods.Clear liquids like Sprite or ginger ale are great, and crackers can help to prevent postop nausea until the anesthetic has left your system.  Eating good nutritious food in the 2-3 days after surgery is extremely important and will make you start to feel stronger after having surgery. I usually recommend starting with soft foods like mashed potatoes, warm (not too hot) soups, oatmeal, or even fruit smoothies. These are all things that your body would be able to tolerate well after surgery and help to regain your strength.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Avoid Spicy Foods & Foods That Can Cause Nausea Following Rhinoplasty

Patients who undergo rhinoplasty are allowed to resume a normal diet with two major exceptions. Any food that has the potential to cause indigestion should be avoided. Nausea and vomiting can have significant negative consequences for rhinoplasty patients in the immediate post-operative period.

In addition, hot foods and spicy foods should be avoided as well. This type of food has the potential to elevate blood pressure and cause bleeding after rhinoplasty surgery.

It’s also important to understand that narcotic pain relievers can cause nausea in the immediate post-operative period. For this reason, patients should advance their diet slowly to avoid unnecessary problems. 

Eating After Rhinoplasty

For the first day after surgery, you should focus on foods that are soft and more bland. Eating anything that can irritate your nose or stomach is not a good idea as it can disrupt the healing process. Within about a week, you can resume your normal diet but make sure to consult with your facial plastic surgeon for what's best with your specific healing process.

Carlo P. Honrado, MD, FACS