Sleeping Position After Rhinoplasty?

Following Rhinoplasty, what position should you sleep in? Also, if you wind up on your back or side during the night, will that affect the development of your nose adversely and alter the results if even slightly?

Increasing comfort after rhinoplasty

While keeping the head higher than your heart for the first few days post-op will probably minimize swelling, I also recommend it for comfort. When the nose is congested--as it will be after surgery--lying flat can sometimes make patients feel as if they're smothering.

It's doubtful that lying flat would cause any truly lasting harm, though. So if a patient is adamant about lying flat, I'd rather they get their sleep and rest than be up all night in an uncomfortable position.

I do caution them against lying on their side in a way that smooshes their cheek and face, since that could potentially shift repositioned nasal bones. I can't say that I've ever seen a bad result that was merely due to patient sleeping position, but it's prudent to minimize the chance.

--DCP

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Suggested sleeping position after rhinoplasty

It is suggested that a patient tries to keep their head above their heart simply to reduce swelling in the nose after a rhinoplasty. It is only a suggestion and is not crucial. Rolling over on a pillow will usually not dislodge it or make the nose crooked if the cast is in place. It is more important to get a good night of sleep than it is to worry about sleeping on three pillows versus two pillows.

Sleeping position after rhinoplasty

Hi,

I recommend the "lounge chair position," which means head elevated above the chest and knees slightly flexed. This position can be approximated in bed with two pillows behind the head and one pillow behind the knees.

Sleeping After Rhinoplasty

In general, one should consider sleeping with your head elevated for the first two weeks after any rhinoplasty or facial procedures such as head and neck, to minimize swelling post operatively.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Rhinoplasty and Sleeping Position

Hi Cali,

After rhinoplasty it is advised to keep your head (nose) elevated above your heart. That usually translates to 3 to 4 pillows. To facilitate staying on your back, you should place sand bags on either side of you, a spouse will work on one side (just kidding). You can place something on each side of you to help from turning onto your side or stomach.

Good luck, enjoy your new nose, and sweet dreams.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sleep with your head elevated after Asian rhinoplasty

I advise my patients to sleep in an elevated position with their head higher than their heart, as this minimizes the swelling significantly. A different position is more likely to cause discomfort than alter the results.

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ideal Sleeping Position Post-Rhinoplasty

I recommend my patient to sleep on their back, with their head elevated after a nose job. Try to sleep with two or three pillows under your head, as keeping your head above the rest of your body will better direct blood flow to the nose and can thereby accelerate the speed at which swelling subsides. Though the nights directly after a rhinoplasty surgery can seem uncomfortable, rest assured that your condition will soon improve and that you will be reaping the benefits of your nose job in no time.

Sleeping Position After Rhinoplasty

So the ideal position is on your back with your head gently elevated.  This will reduce the swelling and prevent you from injuring your nose.  If you find yourself accidently on your side or worse on your belly then oh well....what can you do. It is not ideal.  If you put too much pressure early on it can shift some of the structures and hence change the final result so try to stay on your back

Rady Rahban, MD

Sleeping Post-Rhinoplasty

I recommend that my rhinoplasty patients sleep on their backs with their head elevated for the first one or two weeks after surgery. The elevation will help reduce swelling and back sleeping will ensure that the patient's surgical result isn't compromised overnight. I have never seen a patient who has had a nose developmentally affected due to their sleeping position. I tell my patients it's just important to be aware and take extra precaution in the weeks following a rhinoplasty to ensure that they get the best result possible.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Sleeping position after rhinoplasty

You will experience less swelling if you can keep your head elevated and sleep on your back.  You can either get creative with a few pillows or buy one of those wedge shaped pillows.  Sleeping at 30 degrees or so is optimal.  If you have one of those craftmatic type beds, then this is even easier.  Sleeping on your side will result in more swelling and increases the risk that you could bump your nose in the night.  Other than that, it won't affect your long term results.

Sirius K. Yoo, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon