Restylane for Under Eyes

How long does Restylane under the eyes last? Is the procedure done in one or two treatments for this area?

Restylane under eyelids

Restylane under the eyelids is something I perform on a daily basis for my patients. I wholeheartedly recommend that this procedure be performed by only the most experienced physicians.

Just yesterday, I corrected a patient who had been injected with Perlane (the thicker cousin of Restylane) by a novice injector. Fortunately, an experienced physician knows how to undo the effects of Restylane. Once you are with a physician who you trust, the amount of Restylane required is much less compared to other areas of the face. This makes the procedure great and cost-effective. When you correct the tired, saggy look under the eyes, you will be so pleased with the result!

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is Restylane the right treatment for you ??

"if the only tool you have is a hammer, everything seems like a nail", is one of my favorite quotes. Today, there is a 2 pronged approach to treat facial aging and there are things that fillers and Botox do that surgery can not do, and visa versa.

While Restylane can improve the bottom junction where baggy eyelids end and the cheek starts, you should discuss with your surgeon whether a lower eyelid blepharoplasty is a better , and more permanent choice. I had a blepharoplasty on my lower eyes when I was 32 years old and it was one of the best things I ever did, other than marry my wife. I'm now 58 and still think it looks good, so realize there is a point at which you may tire of ongoing injections.

I do perform Restylane injections to the lower lid junction and have been happy with the results which typically last about one year. But remember, that you need to be evaluated by your physician to determine which treatment is best for you. One advantage of Restylane is that it can quickly be reversed with an injection of hyaluronidase, if for some reason you were dissatisfied with the result.

Darrick E. Antell, MD

Restylane Silk under the eyes using blunt tip cannula

I find Restylane to be a great product to inject around the eye area. Every patient is different when it comes to the question of "how long does the filler actually last". Most patients see results that can range anywhere from 5-9 months.  The procedure is done in one treatment. I find the use of a blunt tip cannula extremely beneficial during this procedure because it markedly reduces the incidence of bruising and discomfort.

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Typically 6-9 months, but possibly longer for eyelids!

Restylane is a hyaluronic acid dermal filler that’s associated with excellent clinical results and high levels of patient satisfaction.It’s easily injected and has a smooth soft presentation.Restylane is very versatile and can be used in multiple anatomic locations.When the eyelids are treated it’s important to be cautious for several of reasons.In this area the anatomy is very complex and the skin is very thin.
It’s important to place Restylane below the orbicularis muscles when treating lower eyelids.Superficial injections can be associated with several problems.These include lumps and bumps which are accompanied by a bluish discoloration of the skin.In some cases, there may be a diffuse bulge in the area of the lower eyelid form expansion of loose lower eyelid skin.Superficial injections in this area are often painful despite topical anesthesia which is usually effective.
Restylane typically last about 6 to 9 months, but when the eyelids are treated it may last for 12 to 15 months.
If you’re considering lower eyelid Restylane injections it’s important to consult a specialist in this area.This specialist should be able to formulate a treatment plan that addresses your concerns.

I don't inject Restylane around the eyes

Some physicians have success with Restylane around the eye. However, you need to find an expert who does this frequently and ask to see results on other patients.

Juvederm is longer lasting-9-12 months as opposed to 4-6 months for Restylane.

I do not do this procedure because I have seen patients with permanent lumps and discolorations. There also has been a reported case of blindness following this procedure in England.

I use a procedure called a transconjunctival arcus marginalis release and fat grafting for a permanent result. See before and after photos.

It depends on who you ask and how they do the treatment

Dear Mother's Glow

For many physicians injecting into the under eye area, they simply don't understand the anatomy and are very timid with their injections.

My advice for these doctors is: If you are uncomfortable with the anatomy-please don't do the treatment. If is much better for everyone if you refer your patient to someone who really knows what they are doing.

Medicis, the company that makes Restylane, finds that most physicians on average are using just a 1 milliliter syringe to treat all the areas of the face per session. This means that very little volume is actually placed in the under eye area.

In my practice, the average under eye circle treatment is 1.5 ml of Restylane in each undereye area. A total treatment is typically 3 ml of Restylane. The longevity of these treatments is well over a year. Treatment is surprisingly comfortable.

These is a 20% chance of bruising and a 2% chance of actually having a black eye. It is best to think of this treatment as surgery in a syringe. Avoiding herbal products and medications like aspirin reduce the risk of bruising. The results are without a doubt much better than what can be accomplished with surgery.

It is best to get the right amount of treatment at the time of initial service. If there are any lumps or bumps, these can easily be adjusted with Restylane either with direct message or with shaping using hyaluronidase, the enzyme that softens Restylane.

Restylane for Under Eyes

Restylane for under the eye lasts for about 6-9 months. The procedure is done in one treatment.
The eye area also has very little subcutaneous fat tissue, and what’s there, diminishes with time—one reason this area (particularly under the eyes) can develop a sunken, hollow look as we age. The eye area is also surrounded by several facial muscles that regularly contract as we express ourselves.
Add to this a slowdown in the production of the skin-firming proteins collagen and elastin as we get older (and, as a result of exposure to the sun), and you have the development of fine lines and wrinkles both under and around the eyes (called “crows feet”). This is why the eye area is a very common concern we treat.
Our goal is to restore the eyes to their most natural, youthful beauty.

Dennis Gross, MD

Restylane under the eyes

Restylane under the eyes is a terrific procedure that instantly gives you the results you are looking for! Patients can expect the results of Restylane to last for about 9 months. The under eye area is incredibly delicate and should only be treated by an expert board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist who has a lot of experience performing the procedure. 

Jimmy S. Firouz, MD

How long does Restylane last under the eyes?

Restylane under the eyes can last anywhere from one to four years; the procedure is done in one treatment in this area.

Lisa Airan, MD

Restylane for lower eyelid rejuvenation

Someone with significant aging of the lower eyelid is best treated with a surgical lower eyelid blepharoplasty which I perform often.  However, for the patient, with minimal lower eyelid aging, Restylane injections to the tear trough or lower eyelid can do just the trick.  I like to inject this hyaluronic acid gel here as it blends the lower eyelid/cheek junction well.  I prefer to utilize a blunt microcannula to inject Restylane here as I can do it safely with no bruising.  I may perform one or two treatments in the first one to two months and see results that last 6-12 months.

Sanjay Grover, MD