I think my gynecomastia has increased in the past week. Is it getting more serious and will TRT help me? (Photo)

Im 16 years old ,I have gynecomastia for the past few years but I realised this now , I was quite obese but lost a lot of weight in the past 2 years . And have been working out in the gym for about 3 months , rest of my body is coming in shape but my nipples are the same even my upper chest is coming in shape but I think my lower chest is getting worse and also I need to know if Trt will help because I can't afford surgery.

The Various Types of Gynecomastia and Ages

There are several common factors which contribute to gynecomastia. These include excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.

Particularly, Normal Gynecomastia is usually apparent in males between the ages of 12 to 15 years old. It is also common for older men 65 years old or more who experience a drop in their testosterone levels. #Normal Gynecomastia takes approximately one to two years to naturally regress on its own.

Adolescent Gynecomastia is hereditary and usually appears in 30% to 60% of boys between the ages of nine to fourteen. Many cases of adolescent gynecomastia resolve on its own as the boy grows into adulthood. Some with #Adolescent may choose to undergo surgery to correct the situation, this usually happens at the age of 18 or above. In severe cases in young boys, the physician and child development specialists will need to speak to the parents regarding the severity of the gynecomastia and if surgery is an option before the age of 18. 

Unequal or unilateral gynecomastia is not an uncommon condition. It is more significant when there are very noticeable differences between the two breasts. Usually, the degree of difference between the two breasts is not severe. Through a study of his patients, however, more than 80% of male breasts are not symmetrical, but the severity varies greatly from patient to patient. Patients should take this into consideration while examining their chests prior to surgery.

In addition to correcting the difference between breast sizes, the #areola often shrinks when #gynecomastia excision is performed. In more pronounced cases, the areola may even be larger. When the glandular tissue is removed, the areola #symmetry may improve.
The conditions that make up #asymmetry can often be corrected to some degree. It is very individual and varies for each patient. Every prospective surgical candidate should discuss this condition with an experienced plastic surgeon prior to surgery. The plastic surgeon’s role is to educate each individual patient as to the possible degree of improvement that can be realistically achieved in his particular case. 

Don't Use TRT without consulting a qualified physician

Gynecomastia, or overgrowth of breast tissue is very common in young men in your age group.  In most cases this is fleeting, lasting a year of two, followed by complete resolution.In some cases, a young man may actually be suffering from pseudo-gynecomastia, which is an enlarged male breast that is associated with being overweight, and consists of mainly fatty tissue versus the true glandular breast tissue found in gynecomastia.  Often, weight loss will lead to improvement of an enlarged male breast if it is due to being overweight.

I think that you are doing the right thing in trying to diet and increase your exercising.  However, you may have a combination of gynecomastia and pseudo-gynecomastia, which is quite common these days.  If that is the case, weight loss will help with the pseudo-gynecomastia component of your problem, but not so much with the true gynecomastia.

Although I am not an expert in testosterone replacement therapy (TRT), I can tell you that treating yourself without the help of a qualified physician is the wrong thing to do, and could even lead to a worsening of your problem.

My advice is to see your family physician and have them evaluate you.  If they have questions, they will most likely send you to the appropriate specialist.

I think my gynecomastia has increased in the past week. Is it getting more serious and will TRT help me?

Congratulations, you are shaping up pretty well.
Having an out of shape chest especially if you had been obese is not uncommon at 16 years. 
Continue with your exercise routine, there is a chance that your problem settles down on its own in 2 or 3 years.
TRT is not a good option, it can lead to gynaecomastia if used in unindicated candidates.

Mild gynecomastia as a teenager and TRT

Thank you for posting on RealSelf.

While your gynecomastia is probably a big deal for you, it is relatively mild compared to many of the cases we see.

If you were referring to TRT, testosterone replacement therapy, as a replacement for surgical treatment for gynecomastia, then I think you better stop and get some real information.

Gynecomastia is a relatively common side effect from young men taking testosterone when it's not indicated.

Very few teenage boys need testosterone therapy. The ones that do have a major hormonal imbalance caused by some major condition.

Never, never, never take anabolic steroids without the supervision of a physician.

If your gynecomastia bothers you enough, consider making a consultation with your parents and a board-certified plastic surgeon to see what your options are.

Keep up the good work and the exercise.

Stay in school and study hard.

Feel free to contact me directly if I can be of any help.

Mats Hagstrom, M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Gynecomastia and TRT, hormone replacement

Its a good and healthy practice to work out in the gym on a regular basis. Regular exercise and a healthy diet routine will encourage proper physical fitness throughout life. The finding of tender or enlarged breasts and/or nipple areola complex in a 16 year old male is relatively common and may or may not resolve spontaneously over a period of years.  Curiously the appearance of the gynecomastia can change from week to week.  Excess body weight may give the appearance of enlarged breasts with or without the finding of enlarged breast glands.   Nevertheless, gynecomastia on one or both sides may also occur in very lean individuals. I would not venture to suggest testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) for you without adequate blood work evaluation, and you should know that TRT can be responsible for worsening gynecomastia if not properly administered and monitored.

Elliot Lach, MD