I think I have gynecomastia. I'm an adolescent. Will it go away?

I'm 15 in June I will be 16,ithink I have gynecomastia. I was little obese when I was around 10 till 14 then I started to lose weight now I'm lean. But my chest remained like breasts ,so I have been working out in the gym for about 4 months rest of my body is coming in shape also my upper chest but my nipples are still puffy and out of shape what I need to know is if it is because I'm adolesent and it will go away or not or is it because of another reason

Doctor Answers 3

Normal vs. Adolescent Gynecomastia

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions.

Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia. Particularly, Normal Gynecomastia is usually apparent in males between the ages of 12 to 15 years old. It is also common for older men 65 years old or more who experience a drop in their testosterone levels. #Normal Gynecomastia takes approximately one to two years to naturally regress on its own.

Adolescent Gynecomastia is hereditary and usually appears in 30% to 60% of boys between the ages of nine to fourteen. Many cases of adolescent gynecomastia resolve on its own as the boy grows into adulthood. 
Some with #Adolescent may choose to undergo surgery to correct the situation, this usually happens at the age of 18 or above. In severe cases in young boys, the physician and child development specialists will need to speak to the parents regarding the severity of the gynecomastia and if surgery is an option before the age of 18. 

Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 116 reviews

most gynecomastia evolving in puberty will resolve spontaneously.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
 About 30 to 40% of boys going  through puberty experience some gynecomastia. In the vast majority of cases this subsides with time.

Adolescent with gynecomastia

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I understand your concern.  While it may be related to your reaching puberty, it may not go away.  I commend your weight loss and workout regimen, that is an excellent start!  Try building up your chest muscles on machines that target those areas, but if it still doesn't get better and it bothers your, talk to your parents!  Ask them to make an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon.  If needed, the surgery is straight forward and immensely rewarding.

Robert M. Tornambe, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.