Is it gyno? (photos)

I just waxed my chest first time. And discovered that I've got weird fat on chest. Left side is more fat than right side. I am really upset to learn about gynecomastia, am I suffering from it? I am skinny fat person, with lot of fat on tummy and love handles. I've got history of erectile dysfunction and muscle weakness. Are they correlated? Any genuine suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Regards

Doctor Answers 5

About Gynecomastia and the Treatment Options

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades.  About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement. 

Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.

There are three types of surgical #treatment #options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal #candidate. 

Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 116 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thanks for the photos.  I can't tell much from the photos.  You are thin enough where you could feel breast tissue which is more firm than surrounding fat. Your best bet is to schedule a consult with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Tim Neavin, MD
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 53 reviews

Is it gyno?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for the question and pictures. Accurate diagnosis would necessitate physical examination. It is important to differentiate gynecomastia ( excess breast tissue) from lipomastia ( otherwise known as pseudo-gynecomastia or excess adipose tissue of chest wall). Treatment will differ depending on diagnosis. My best suggestion: seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Is it gyno?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hi depressed12,

It is impossible for any doctor responding on these boards to definitively say whether you have gynecomastia based on these photos. You need to be evaluated in person, have a medical history taken and a physical exam performed.  Based purely on the photos you have posted, I think your chest is within normal limits, but again, nothing beats an in-person examination.

Hope that helps,
Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 51 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
these are much less than ideal photos but given what you're showing us you appear to be within the normal range. Let's put it this way. If you came into my office asking for correction I would strongly suggest leaving it alone. Find yourself a good board certified plastic surgeon that works on this problem regularly for your consultation.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.