I'm 17 years old and I've had true gynecomastia for 4-5 years. Is Surgery a Good Option?

I'm 17 years old and I've had true gynecomastia for 4-5 years. The condition has seriously impacted upon my self-esteem and confidence, so obviously, I'm very eager to oust it! I'm not overweight, (my BMI is 19.4 and I do lots of cardio) I've never taken drugs and I have no underlying illnesses I'm aware of which could cause gynecomastia. Since it's been roughly 5 years, I'm doubtful it will ever go away; so is surgery a good option, or should I wait longer? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Gynecomastia Surgery

Sounds like it is time. Most men tolerate the recovery extremely well and are gratified by the results.

Gynecomastia Surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Gynecomastia treatment

Gynecomastia can be treated in several ways. Sometimes with just liposuction, sometimes with tissue excision, and sometimes skin excision is added as well. It really depends upon how extensive it is.  An exam is key.  Good luck.

Gynecomastia treatment

Best Time for Correction of Gynecomastia

Male breast enlargement is common at the time of puberty.  If it does not go away on its own within two years it is likely to stay.  If your gynecomastia has been present for 4-5 years this would be a good time to have it corrected.  Surgery usually involves a combination of liposuction and removal of gland through small incisions.  See my blog on this subject.

Gynecomastia treatment

Surgery is a great option for gynecomastia and goes a long way to improving one's self esteem. The procedure is not difficult to go through but make sure you have an experienced plastic surgeon do the procedure to get the best results.

Gynecomastia treatment

Have a consultation with an experienced Gynecomastia Surgeon.

You should visit the plastic surgeon web site to see his before and after pictures.It is important that the Gynecomastia Surgeon will remove about 95% of the gland to avoid reccurence.Usually liposuction alone is not sufficient.

Scarless gynecomastia

Is basically the only treatment. We see a large number of patients for this and I cannot tell you how many 40 year olds I see who have struggled with this all their lives after being told to wait and they will "grow out of it". If this is as you say the standard type of gynecomastia with no other predisposing causes surgery is effective and spares a lot of heart ache over the next decades.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Scarless gynecomastia

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Teenager Gynecomastia

While there is no “youngest age” to undergo #gynecomastia surgery, many surgeons make sure that teenage patients have had gynecomastia for at least two years and have no other identifiable causes for their gynecomastia before having #surgery.  

You may want to consult a #boardcertified #plasticsurgeon in person to see if surgery is your best option at this time.

Teenager Gynecomastia

Gynecomastia Surgery in Teens

Hi,

Thank you for your post. Based on your history, you likely have physiologic gynecomastia which is not uncommon in boys who go through puberty. In most boys who develop gynecomastia during puberty, it resolves within 2-3 years and so I typically advise waiting at least that long before entertaining surgery. I recommend being evaluated by a plastic surgeon who specializes in gynecomastia surgery. If there are no other medical conditions responsible for the gynecomastia, then surgery will be very effective in obtaining the results you are seeking.

Sincerely,

Dr. Dadvand

Gynecomastia Surgery in Teens

Hi,

Sincerely,

Dr. Dadvand

Gynecomastia in 17 year old

Your body continues to develop through adolescence, and most boys find that their gynecomastia corrects itself of its own. If after losing weight their chest is still not aesthetically pleasing, surgery can then be considered once another medical condition has been ruled out.

Gynecomastia in 17 year old

Surgery is a good option to address your problem since it is very unlikely that it will resolve spontaneously at this point.  See a board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon