Crater Deformity After Gynecomastia, Would a Revision Fix this? (photo)

Hello, I had gynecomastia surgery performed when i was 12 im now 26 it wasn't done by a plastic surgeon and i feel getting it doin at that age didn't help either. Is there any type of procedure that can be done with permanent results to improve the crater deformity i have. And what would be a ruff estimate on the cost

Doctor Answers 11

Depression after gynecomastic incision can be fixed.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I can't specifically say what can help, but the very least would be suctioning of the surrounding fat away from the areola.  If it's still depressed, a dermis fat graft could be placed beneath the areola to generate more caliber.

Crater deformity

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

This is a easy and straight forward problem to correct.  Your crater deformity is ideal for a fat flap close the depression.  I have a video on some one exactly like you to give you an ideal of how good your result could be

Miguel Delgado, MD
San Francisco Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 81 reviews

Revision of gynecomastia can help a lot.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


This is a tough problem.  Just going by your pictures, I think a combination of spot microliposuction and fat injections into the clefts will help you.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)
Manhattan Plastic Surgeon


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

From the pictures posted, it seems that excessive amount of tissue was taken from underneath the nipple areola resulting in scarring and depression at the nipple areola.

It will need to be correcre with the least amount of scarring. Fat graft is your best alternative and be prepared that you may need more than obe session of fat grafting to achieve the best results.

Samir Shureih, MD
Baltimore Plastic Surgeon

Contour irregularity after excisional chest surgery.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The lack of tissue underneath the areolar skin is causing the problem with the crater.   A surgical release of the old scar and possible perimeter contour reduction may allow the skin to redrape favorably.  A fat graft may be necessary to to bulk up the area.  Pricing varies fron region to region along with the  procedure performed. 

H. Michael Roark, MD
San Diego Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 16 reviews

Crater after gynecomastia, what can be done to fix it?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hi Polkb10,

Thanks for your question and photos. Some before pictures would definitely help in your assessment. DON;T lose hope. It is certainly fixable but you definitely need someone who does male breast revision surgery on a routine basis. It would be helpful to know what exactly was done before if only liposuction or direct excision.  A physical exam is needed to adequately address the area of concern and to visualize the skin elasticity or scar tissue that has formed since your surgery over 14 years ago.  I recommend expressing your concerns to your future plastic surgeon and seeking someone with lots of liposuction and fat grafting experience. It will require scar release and fat grafting without major surgical intervention. It could be done in 30-45 minutes in the office likely under local plus iv sedation. Good Luck.


All the best,

Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS

#moobs   #revisionsurgery     

Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Carlos Mata, MD, MBA, FACS
Scottsdale Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 38 reviews

Crater Deformity Concern Following Gynecomastia Surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Your incisions will go through a maturation #process after gynecomastia surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff. It's possible the indentations can be addressed with cosmetic filler(s) if eligible. 

Jed H. Horowitz, MD, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 116 reviews

Crater Deformity After Gynecomastia Surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hi polkb10,

Thanks for the post and photos.  You would befit from a revision where fat flaps could be mobilized and rotated into place underneath you areolae. This has the highest chance of success but is contingent on you having enough fatty tissue in your chest. Another option is to remove fat from another portion of your body and graft it under the cratered areas. Seek a plastic surgeon experienced in gynecomastia surgery and especially revision gynecomastia surgery.


Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 51 reviews

Nipple Depression after Gynecomastia Surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Your problem was most likely do to over resection of your breast tissue beneath your nipple. Revision gynecomastia surgery is often difficult and requires a well trained board certified plastic surgeon with experience in redo male breast surgery. An exam is critical to give you an opinion but most likely fat transfer is required. The below link will direct you on how to find the best plastic surgeon.

Crater Deformity After Gynecomastia, Would a Revision Fix this? (photo)

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Judging from the photos, I suspect you would need revision surgery including scar release, revision liposuction of the chest, and possible fat grafting to the subareola region.  Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS
Houston Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 88 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.