Areola swollen after gynecomastia surgery

I am a male of 31 years old I have had gynecomastia surgery done 3 weeks ago I had the gland excision and liposuction. But my left areola is doming slightly and when I touch nipple or press on areola, the areola gets erect and stick out and it hurts and it is like hard rock.

Concerned About Areola Three Weeks Post Op

It's very early in your recovery from gynecomastia surgery. As you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin.

Following surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.
Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.

In the future, if you are still experiencing your crater concern, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.  They may possibly be able to address the issue with fat grafting or cosmetic fillers if you are a good fit.

Hi freemind2015,
Thanks for the post. It is not unusual to have some swelling and sensitivity at 3 weeks after surgery. The only thing that may need to be evaluated is whether you are developing scar tissue under the left areola. Please refer to the reference I have added regarding hard lumps after surgery.

Sincerely,
Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Swelling and pain three weeks after gynecomastia surgery

The symptoms you are having can be very common after gynecomastia surgery.  The swelling can be fluid collecting under your areola but it is always safe to return to your surgeon to make sure you are healing as expected.  As always, communicate with your surgeon and his staff and follow his or her postoperative instructions.  Good luck.

Denis L. Gonyon, Jr., MD
Fort Collins Plastic Surgeon

I appreciate your question.

Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

best of luck!

Dr. Schwartz

3 weeks after surgery

At three weeks after surgery you are likely swollen still. it can take several months for the swelling to completely subside. Best of luck.