Scabs with hair attached to it falling out when washing. Should I be concerned?

It has been 10 days since my FUE transplant and there are still a bit of scabs on my scalp. Slowly but surely the scabs are coming off as I gently wash my hair by touching the recipient area using a special shampoo given by my doctor. I heard that in 3 days the follicle will have taken root; however, rarely, when I wash my hair I see some scabs coming out that have the hair attached to it. Are these lost hairs? Or has the follicle taken root and this is just the hair that is coming off? Thanks!

Shedding after a hair transplant

Shedding grafts is a normal process after a hair transplant. Sometime every hair and every graft sheds and does not return until the hair goes into anagen which is usually 5-6 months after a hair transplant is done. The shedding includes the grafts as well

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Healing process after #hairtransplant

the scabs will start to fall off after 10 days. The hair shaft may be attached to the scabs when falling, but the follicles remain and will start to grow in after a few months. 

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

Thank you for the post. You are 10 days post FUE procedure, and it is expected for the grafts starting day 8 or 10 to start shedding, this is normal during the recovery process, no need to be alarmed. Congratulations on your decision in having the procedure. Hope this helps a bit. Cheers.

Matt Tahsini, MD
Pasadena Hair Restoration Surgeon

Crusts

The medical term for what you are asking about is called "Graft Anchoring" and for a while it was a subject of some debate.  Here's what we know now:  It sometimes happens that a small crust will develop to protect the graft as it heals.  These are typically water soluble so they can be prevented with frequent washing in the initial days post-op.  After about 9 days, the grafts have established themselves in their new "home" and it is unlikely that pulling them out will result in destruction of the graft.

So you are good!  Take care of those little babies as they head form now on and good luck!

Sara Wasserbauer, MD
Walnut Creek Hair Restoration Surgeon

Post op care

The grafts should be permanent at 10 days. After this time, you can scrub as much as you need to get the scabs off. It’s normal for the hair follicle to fall out along with the scabs. You did not affect the graft itself and it will have no detrimental effect on your hair growth. Dont forget that post op care and washing is very important to have a good result

Ilker Apaydin, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

If you are concerned about hairs falling out with scabs or skin, it is best to contact your doctor. It may be normal or

If you are concerned about hairs falling out with scabs or skin, it is best to contact your doctor.  It may be normal or there may be an issue.  It would be impossible to tell without an examination.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon