Can You Still Have Plastic Surgery(lower Body Lift) with a Cold?

There are some people that say you can't with a cold and others say if you have your period the doctor will not operate.I am not so sure if these are true or false.

Contraindications to Surgery (Cold and Menstruation)

There is no contraindication to performing surgery when a woman is menstruating. It is probably safest not to undergo surgery if you have a cold, or upper respiratory infection. Minor colds with symptoms of only nasal/sinus congestion may not add significant risk. Any sign of involvement of the lower airways, such as a cough, shortness of breath or wheezing, could definitely indicate inflammation of the airways that could result in complications from anesthesia. Any surgical procedure requiring IV sedation or general anesthesia, where there could be airway complications, should be postponed until cold symptoms have completely resolved.

Upper Respiratory Infections and Lower Body Lift Surgery

It's not unusual for pre-operative lower body lift patients to develop cough and cold symptoms during the winter months of the year. When this situation arises, patients should be carefully evaluated by both their plastic surgeon and anesthesiologist. When colds are minor, it's probably reasonable to proceed with lower body lift surgery. Colds and coughs that are associated with elevated temperatures, sputum production, signs of influenza, wheezing and signs of generalized illness should result in cancellation of the procedure.

Under these circumstances, illnesses can progress and significantly complicate the post-operative course. In some cases, secondary complications such as pneumonia, infection, bleeding and hematoma could result. In addition, a chronic cough can create significant discomfort in the post-operative period.

For these reasons, it's occasionally necessary to cancel lower body lift procedures and re-schedule at a later date. It's important to remember that safety should always be everyone's first priority.

Cold and surgery

Generally, it is not advisable to proceed with any major elective surgery that will require general anesthesia if the patient is ill with a febrile illness or any lower respiratory illness, such as a productive cough.  A simple runny nose or scratch throat may be OK, but ultimately you should consult and discuss with your surgeon and anesthesiologist.  

Jeffrey D. Wagner, MD

It is not advisable to proceed with major surgery like a lower body lift when you are sick with a productive cough or cold.  These operations are long and require prolonged periods of general anesthesia.  Colds and productive coughs make the recovery from an abdominoplasty and lower body lift more risky from a lung health standpoint. The use of narcotic pain medication and the tightening of the abdomen muscles with abdominoplasty can make it difficult to keep the lungs fully expanded and clear in the post-op period.  Having these kinds of operations with an existing cold or productive cough may unnecessarily increase the risk of pulmonary complication after surgery.  I would wait until you recover from your cold.  Unless it is associated with an unusually significant blood loss and acute anemia, menstruation alone is not a contraindication to proceeding with these operations.  

Paul Fortes, MD

Sick before planned surgery

Thank you for your question. If in the unfortunate circumstance that you get sick before your surgery, you may have postpone your surgery until you are better again. If you are feeling sick, I would discuss with your surgeon who may help you decide depending on your individual symptoms.

Getting a cold before surgery

Being on your menstrual cycle is not a contraindication for having surgery.  Getting a "cold" is different .. I ask my patients to communicate with my office if they think they are getting sick and we will decide whether to proceed with surgery or not.  Safety is the first priority with elective surgery so don't be disappointed if your surgery is postponed until you are 100% better.

Best Wishes!

Should I cancel surgery if I have a cold?

If you have a fever, a serious sore throat, lots of coughing, and so on - yes, I would recommend postponing your surgery.  If you just have some mild sniffles that are improving, then it would probably be OK to have  your surgery.  Let your surgeon and the anesthesiologist be the judge of that.

Having your period is not a contraindication for surgery.

Feel better!

Sick for your surgery

Cosmetic surgery and its risks are ideal for patients in excellent health. Though a cold may not affect your results or recovery, it is possible that it will. I would not recommend it.

Marc Schneider, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Minimal Risk, Minimal Complications

A lower bodylift is an elective cosmetic surgery that will have lasting results and drastically improve your quality of life.   I would take the necessary steps to be in your best health prior to surgery.    Surgery can always be delayed for a few weeks to allow evaluation and treatment by your primary care physician.   An unnecessary complication related to your illness could have lasting effects.   I wish you a safe and healthy recovery.

Paul S. Gill, MD

Not a good idea

I reccomend my patients not have elective surgery with a cold.  It is best to wait till you are feeling better.