When can I start lifting after gynecomastia surgery? If I gain a little weight while resting, will my breast size enlarge?

Its been 4 weeks now since the surgery. I feel that I have gained weight for all the time I have been resting. Will my breast size grow with this weight? When can I start doing chest workouts? What about scar tissue buildup in the breast? Will the scar tissue continue to build and make my breasts look bigger? What can I do to get rid of scar tissue buildup? Im only 16 years old, and I worry that mu hormones are still active and fear that my breasts will grow back again. Please help.

Exercising & Weight Training After Gynecomastia Surgery

The #recurrence of breast enlargement is uncommon following #gynecomastia surgery. However, this may help provide you some insight. Usually 1 week after #gynecomastia surgery you can begin taking moderate walks or ride a stationary bike. Strenuous workouts or aerobic #exercise can begin around 4 weeks post-op. Please get approval from your doctor before you begin any physical activity and workout regimens.

Exercise after surgery

I usually tell my patients to wait a few weeks before returning to surgery, and it all depends on what kind of surgery was performed. You should ask your surgeon what their recommendation is since they're more familiar with your case. It's better to wait for your body to recover since if you return too soon, you could cause a complication. In the meantime, you can return to lower body workouts which will help keep the weight off. At your age your metabolism is probably pretty good.

When to Start Lifting Weights After Gynecomastia Surgery?

This is something you should discuss with your surgeon who knows you best. For my patients, I want them to wear a compression vest for 6 weeks, and depending on how they are healing I allow them to return to exercise between 4  and 6 weeks. I know it is difficult to wait on your workouts when you are accustom to doing them, but get clearance from your doctor before you begin. Meanwhile try to be careful about your diet, eat healthy and you should be fine. It is possible that your breast may enlarge some if you are still going through puberty, although I have never needed to re-operate on any of my younger patients. Good luck!

Miguel Delgado, MD