I accidentally hit our washroom door and caused small bump on my nose bridge. Can this pressure cause the bump to grow bigger?

After hitting the door I felt pressure on the left side of my nose bridgr. It wasnt painful but caused small bump on left side of my nose bridge. Several months have passed but it is still there. I started wearing glasses 2wks ago using light metal frame but I wanted stylish ones so I git bigger heavier plastic ones. I feel slight pressure on the bump whenever I wear the glasses. Can this pressure cause the bump to grow bigger? What can happen to the bump and my nose?

Thank you for your question. you for your question.

How the Rhinoplasty operation is performed?

There are different kinds of rhinoplasty operations however we can divide them as the one that requires bone excision and the one that does not need bone excision. The main fact that we classify the rhinoplasty operations like that is that the results and postoperative period is associated closely with this fact. In the operations like “nasal tip correction”, “simple rhinoplasty” there is no need for a bone excision however these minor operations cannot be beneficial for everyone. The operation type is need to be determined by the surgeon according to needs of the patient. In these minor operations the rhinoplasty is performed with closed method. The bone and the cartilage tissues are not involved in the surgery directly. Small nasal bumps can be removed in these operations.

In the operation that needs the bone and cartilage tissues to be involved; open approach is used. In the procedures with open approach, the size, shape and functionality of the nose can be improved. The big nasal bumps can be removed and septal deviations can be corrected providing a better nasal airway.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Bump on side of nose after hitting a door several months ago.

Based on your history, you likely caused a subperiosteal bleed, resulting in bone formation, or at least scar formation. Pressure from glasses, even heavier ones, will not make this worse, unless you suffer another "bump" to your nose.

Most nasal injuries are simply soft tissue ones, and will heal and resolve over a few weeks. But the nose has many small structures like the nasal bones, and the nasal cartilages, that are susceptible to even relatively minor injuries causing real anatomic damage. This can be cosmetic, functional, or both.

After several months, the bump may well be permanent. But even bone is living tissue, and pressure can actually improve this over time, so I would not worry about those glasses unless you are accident-prone and those glasses get bumped, re-bumping your nose!

The bump may not ever "go away," but it likely will not get worse either. It can be surgically addressed, but realize that surgery to remove the bump causes subperiosteal bleeding again, and at least a theoretical chance you get yet another somewhat different (? worse) bump. Not recommended unless that bump is a doosie! Wear your glasses and see how things go. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

A bump on the nose after nasal trauma

Sometimes when you bump your nose you will have swelling and it will go away in a few weeks. Sometimes it will not go away. The nasal bones have a thin layer of periosteum on the very delicate bone that can have bleeding under it and lift up after being hit. New bone can form in this space and give you a permanent bump. Repeated trauma can make the bump larger. If the bone was broken then this new bone bump can form as well. Heavier glasses are more likely to increase the size of the bump over lighter glasses. If you unhappy with the bump you can see a general plastic surgeon or a facial plastic surgeon. ENT training is not needed for the repair as there is no functional breathing issue.

Garrett H. Bennett, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose Surgery

Hi Andrea,
I am sorry you had trouble.  The glasses will not cause the bump to grow bigger.  If anything they will help the bump.  The bump, or change in your nose shape means you  broke your nose.  So I would recommend you see a surgeon who specializes in nasal surgery and have this evaluated, inside and out.  All the best, "Dr. Joe"