Best rhinoplasty specialist in the SF Bay Area, CA?

I'm looking to get a rhinoplasty in the SF Bay Area. I feel like I have looked at every plastic surgeons there is. At the end of the day it takes just a leap of faith even if the doctor is acclaimed. Even the best ones I find horror stories of botched surgeries on their real self or Yelp I'm looking for a facial plastic surgeon that specializes in rhinoplasty.

The best rhinoplasty Surgeon in the bay area

Plastic surgery is art. .....check out before and after photos. Ultimately that should be your deciding factor.

Meet with them and see if you click with them and they understand your aesthetics and desires.

Surgeons that do noses frequently will be comfortable with your plans.

Go see a few to help you decide.

Ultimately ,  the proof is in the pudding.

Good luck.

Dr.Kimberly Henry

Greenbrae Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Specialist

Thanks so much for your question! Finding the right facial plastic surgeon can be tricky, but I'm glad to hear that you've been doing your research! You will definitely want to look into each physicians credentials to find someone who has had the training and experience to provide you with the best possible rhinoplasty result. Patients usually benefit from finding a surgeon like myself who is double board certified in both facial plastic and reconstructive surgery and otolaryngology (ENT). This is important because it indicates that the physician has experience addressing both cosmetic and functional nasal concerns. Reading reviews online is a great place to start, but many offices will offer prospective patients the chance to speak with patients who have recently had a rhinoplasty procedure. There's no better way to get real answers to your questions than by speaking to a patient who has already had surgery with that physician. Finally, I would suggest not letting the doctors location impact your decision to consider them for your surgery. If you only search for doctors in your area, it greatly reduces your options. It's best to stay focused on their experience, eye for aesthetics, and overall philosophy when it comes to surgery to make sure that you find the best fit for you. Most offices also offer lots of information for out of town patients, which makes traveling for surgery much less intimidating. It's always best to do initial research online, and then proceed to have consultations with at least 2 physicians before making your final decision. Best of luck!

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Best rhinoplasty surgeons

You are correct that there are a lot of self proclaimed rhinoplasty specialists on the web. I recommend you select a surgeon with the help of the Rhinoplasty Society.  These surgeons have been vetted by their peers and have shown a dedication to this procedure. There are several excellent members of that society in the Bay Area.

R. Laurence Berkowitz, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Consult with Rhinoplasty Superspecialists

You have realized it is not easy to select the most talented, experienced surgeon. That is why I wrote a book on the subject. The main " pearl" I can give you is to do what I did: seek a rhinoplasty superspecialist. That is a surgeon whose practice is mainly or exclusively rhinoplasty. That surgeon will generally be better qualified to satisfy you than someone who is less specialized. When you have identified such, look at the doctor's website and see if the work is consistently " natural" and appropriate. Check out the reviews here on RealSelf and on other sites such as Yelp! It takes some homework but it sure is worth it. You want to do it right the first time.

Robert Kotler, MD

How do you choose!

A couple of things to keep in mind when looking for a rhinoplasty specialist.  Board Certified in both Facial Plastic surgery and Otolaryngology (ENT) is a great start.  Actual before and after photo's of real patients, not just computer images.  You are correct though, at the end of the day, you have to go with your gut. Also, read the reviews and take some time to see if they are legitimate or ask the office about them.  Be Well and good luck!

Michael R. Macdonald, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dear PATIENT.INFO

In order to find the "best" rhinoplasty surgeon for your rhinoplasty, you need to find a well trained surgeon that can technically deliver the results YOU want. 

Training matters : In general, ENT trained Facial Plastic surgeons have experience and strength in reconstructive and airway rhinoplasty. Their specialty has evolved from cases that required septal work and was post fracture. Plastic surgery in rhinoplasty has historically evolved with a focus on aesthetic rhinoplasty. Having trained in both disciplines, I would say that if you have difficulty breathing through your nose and want a rhinoplasty, an ENT trained Facial plastic surgeon would be a good choice. If your problem is purely cosmetic, then you chances are an aesthetic Plastic surgeon would be an excellent choice. 

Experience : Rhinoplasty is impacted by time and longevity of results in many rhinoplasties are impacted by surgeon experience. In my opinion it takes at least 4 to 5 years of practice (or even longer) to really appreciate rhinoplasties.

Surgeon's aesthetic : make sure the surgeon you choose has the same taste as you within reason. If someone has a series of pics that look overdone to you, you might end up with a similar result. Chemistry with the surgeon is just as important. make sure you feel comfortable that you are heard and your concerned are addressed. 

Ultimately choose 2-3 surgeons, go on consults and then make a well informed decision.

Afshin Parhiscar, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Nothing to do but look at the before and after photos. Then, the leap of faith is a smaller leap.

Seeing a surgeon's before and after photos is still the best way to evaluate him. Don't skimp on seeing the photos. Then, yes, there is a little bit of a leap of faith. Click on the "Web reference" link, just below my post here, for more on how to stay out of trouble while searching for a rhinoplasty surgeon.

Steven M. Denenberg, MD
Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon

Best rhinoplasty surgeons in SF bay

OMG! Would someone just answer the dang question.  It depends a little on the specifics of what you're looking for but I feel Umang Metha, MD is about the best you would do around here.  He does almost nothing but rhinoplasties.  David Kim, MD is excellent; his style tends to be more natural/conservative.  Sam Most, MD is very experienced and very well respected.  David Lieberman, MD and Sachin Parikh, MD offer a lot of experience as well.  They're all board certified facial plastics surgeons.

For Asian rhinoplasty it'd be md, Donald Yoo, MD in LA or Charles Lee, MD in LA.

Best to ya,

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

I would recommend when looking for a surgeon to perform your rhinoplasty that you choose one who is board certified and specializes in rhinoplasty. You may also want to look on the Rhinoplasty Society website as this lists the top surgeons in the world who specialize in noses. I would also look at the surgeon’s credentials, memberships, educational background, reviews and before and afters. Before and afters are a good indicator of their techniques and outcomes from rhinoplasty surgeries and reading reviews from other patients is a good way to see what their experience with the doctor was like. Best of luck in your endeavors!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Best rhinoplasty specialist

Rhinoplasty is a very difficult endeavor, so it is important to choose your surgeon based on extensive experience producing natural results consistently. It's also important that you have realistic expectations about what can and cannot be accomplished with the procedure.  Look at your prospective surgeon's board certification, before and after photo gallery, and make sure that that surgeon has dedicated a significant component of their practice to the discipline of rhinoplasty.