I am 7 weeks post rhinoplasty and I think my nose is crooked. (Photos)

Looking at my nose the middle is still really swollen, do you think it will straighten up with healing or will it stay like this?

Too Early To Tell

It takes at least 12 moths for a rhinoplasty patient to see their final results.  With thicker skin, the results may not be apparent until 18 months.  In a small percent of patients, revision may be necessary after that time.

Rhinoplasty Recovery

Thanks for your question. Although you are 7 weeks post-op, your nose is still swollen which affects the way it looks. As your nose heals and settles into place, it changes subtly. These are not changes that you will notice in the mirror from one day to the next, but rather is a transformation over time. External swelling usually gets a lot better in the fist couple of months after surgery, however it can take a full year (or more) for the internal swelling to completely resolve. The good news is, that although swelling can cause asymmetry, it's not permanent. If you are concerned that the amount of swelling that you are experiencing is abnormal, I recommend schedule a follow up appointment with your surgeon so that they can assess you in person. Good luck!

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Don't Judge a Rhinoplasty Result at Seven Weeks

Hi there,

Don't fret. Seven weeks is not a long time. Takes 3-4 months for the nose to settle in. Perhaps you are just one of those patients who takes a bit longer. Even if there is a little asymmetry at three to four months, it can be corrected with temporary or permanent fillers. You need not fear having a second operation. Also, maybe your surgeon can recommend some medication to speed up swelling reduction.

Robert Kotler, MD

Recovering from rhinoplasty and evaluating your result is limited due to swelling.

Recovering from rhinoplasty is a healing process. Part of that process is waiting for swelling to go down to see your result. Patients with thicker skin, revision surgery, rib grafting, extensive tip work may experience prolonged swelling.

In the first 6-8 weeks the majority of swelling will go down. Over the next 6-9 months you'll experience a downward trending rollercoaster of swelling going up and down depending on your exposure to heat, sun, or salt. At one year, you're close to your final result; however, the nose is known to continue healing and refining by very small amounts for years after that. So, at 7 weeks, you're still in the first phase of healing.

The swelling commonly goes down in an uneven way. First one side and then the other goes down, which may give the appearance of a crooked nose until the other side catches up. The tip is the last area to settle down. It's important to follow your surgeon's instructions and keep your follow-up appointments so your surgeon can track your progress toward a safe and happy outcome. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

I am seven weeks post rhinoplasty and I think my nose is crooked

Since it has only been seven weeks, it's very difficult to determine if the nose itself is crooked, or there's a symmetrical swelling present. Thick skin takes a long time settle down until  the full  and complete healing process has taken place over the first 12 to 18 months. Best to check with your operative surgeon.

Rhinoplasty

It is important to consult with your surgeon about any questions or concerns you may have so they can give you a physical examination. Your nose is still healing and changing, this will continue over the course of a year to year and a half. You still have some swelling which can cause the appearance of a bulbous tip. It takes 6 months for 90% of the swelling to resolve after a rhinoplasty. During this waiting period, several treatment options can reduce the swelling. First, post-operative taping is imperative to decrease swelling and mold the shape of the nose. This can be performed for a minimum of 2 weeks with recommendations commonly for 3 months. Second, a short course of oral steroids (Medrol dose pack) can be beneficial in the early stages to decrease swelling and pain. Third, I commonly use a dilute solution of Kenalog with Marcaine to decrease swelling of the nasal tip. If after 12-18 months, you are still unhappy with your results, I would contact your surgeon or another board certified plastic surgeon for a revision.
Best of luck in your recovery!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

2 months after rhinoplasty

It is too soon to denote results at 2 months after rhinoplasty.  The swelling present after rhinoplasty can be asymmetric, causing the nose to appear deviated.  It is important to have very close follow-up with your surgeon as measures can be taking throughout the healing process to help control the final results.

7 Weeks Post Op Rhinoplasty

It is too soon to see the final result.  The nose will change over the next few months.  It takes weeks to months for all swelling to subside. Follow up with your surgeon so he can monitor your progress.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

7 weeks pot op, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.

It's too early to make value judgments with only 7 weeks after a rhinoplasty.
Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards, 
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD