Is a little over 2 weeks ok to do surgery for a broken nose?

I broke my nose on the 6th and am scheduled to have it put back in place on the 23rd so that comes to 2 weeks and 3 days? Is that ok I'm worried it's too late and it will take more to put back in place.

Broken nose and surgery

The sooner a broken is corrected the easier it is to manipulate and reposition  the bones back to near the correct positions.  Sometimes this is unsuccessful even if done soon after injury.  At two weeks, most of the time the bones have hardened into position pretty firmly thus making it difficult to change the position of the bones without causing additional trauma. 

At two weeks and three days it could certainly take more time to put things back into place, but it may be worth the chance at the very least.  It is possible you may need further surgery to correct your nose once the swelling goes away.  Also, I prefer not to address any injuries to the nasal septum until the initial inflammation and swelling from the injury goes away.  If I need to address the nasal septum due to the injury, than oftentimes I will wait to address both the septum and the nasal bones a few months down the road and avoid a closed reduction early on since a subsequent delayed surgery is needed regardless.  Hope this helps, and I hope you get the information you are looking for!!

Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ideal time to fix a broken nose

After a nasal fracture, the bones can be reduced (put back into place) to heal. This can be performed immediately (up til around 2 weeks) or you can wait for the swelling to go completely away. The advantage of addressing it early is the avoidance of scar tissue and the bones can be pushed into place without much manipulation (closed reduction) in the first 2 weeks or so. Bear in mind, there is potential for a revision procedure if the bones don't heal well. 

Waiting gives a clearer picture of the nasal structures; however there will be healed bone, scar tissue and a need to perform more advanced techniques to straighten the bones (open reduction). The advanced techniques improve your chance for a better outcome. 

Ask your surgeon about the surgical plan and express your concerns. Trust me. Your surgeon wants a good outcome for you and she/he will take timing into account. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is a little over two weeks okay to do surgery for a broken nose?

It is acceptable to straighten a broken nose at any time after the  Injury. It's always best to try to attempt to straighten it sooner, rather than later because at this point the nasal bones/ Cartilages have memory to go back to being straight. Once the nose is healed crooked years down the road, it makes it more difficult because the nasal bones and cartilages tends to want to heal back to their crooked state. In our practice, we perform osteotomies after  A nasal fracture to control how the  nasal bones heal. This is also known as an open reduction nasal fracture, not a closed reduction.