Gynecomastia at age 17. My doctor told me it will resolve on its own. Is he right, or should I go for surgery? (Photo)

I am feeling very depressed and sad, i have gynecomastia and puffy nipples since 1 and a half year, My doctor told me it will resolve on it's own, is he right? Or should i go for surgery? and till what i age i should wait.

Gynecomastia at Age 17

There are several common factors which contribute to gynecomastia. These include excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.

Particularly, Normal Gynecomastia is usually apparent in males between the ages of 12 to 15 years old. It is also common for older men 65 years old or more who experience a drop in their testosterone levels. #Normal Gynecomastia takes approximately one to two years to naturally regress on its own.

Adolescent Gynecomastia is hereditary and usually appears in 30% to 60% of boys between the ages of nine to fourteen. Many cases of adolescent gynecomastia resolve on its own as the boy grows into adulthood. Some with #Adolescent may choose to undergo surgery to correct the situation, this usually happens at the age of 18 or above. In severe cases in young boys, the physician and child development specialists will need to speak to the parents regarding the severity of the gynecomastia and if surgery is an option before the age of 18.

Will gynecomastia resolve?

There is no way to know whether your chest appearance will change over time.  Provided your doctor has already ruled out a concerning process there is no harm in waiting a few more years.  If there is no improvement, consider seeing a plastic surgeon at that time.

Gynecomastia at age 17. My doctor told me it will resolve on its own. Is he right, or should I go for surgery?

I would have to examine you to give you the best recommendation. Look at reviews and before and after pictures as well as credentials to select your surgeon.

Does Gynecomastia Go Away?

In general for most patients in my experience is that after puberty has ended for a few years, gynecomastia usually remains and surgical treatment is required.

I would be comfortable performing a gynecomastia reduction at this time.  I would consider a combination of liposuction and direct excision.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS

Gynecomastia

It is true that transient gynecomastia can occur around the time of puberty, it may or may not resolve once puberty is complete.  At 17 your hormones should be beginning to stabilize and it would not be unreasonable to seek consultation regarding surgery.  I suggest discussing this with your parents first and asking them to help you find a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in this procedure.  It appears form the limited photo that you may benefit from liposuction. Good luck

Mary Gingrass, MD

Thank you for the question and picture. I would suggest that you seek consultation with your primary care physician and/or  board-certified plastic surgeons. Physical examination will be key when it comes providing you with an accurate diagnosis. Based on your description, it is possible that you are dealing with gynecomastia. "Gynecomastia" comes from the Greek meaning "gyne" meaning woman and  "mastos"  meaning breasts.  It refers to abnormal development of large mammary glands in males. Although there may be many “causes”, most cases are idiopathic (no specific cause). The use of certain medications, drugs, organ dysfunction (kidney or liver), hormonal imbalances etc. may also be causative.  Persistence gynecomastia is often best treated with  partial excision of the prominent glandular tissue  as well as liposuction surgery of the peripheral chest area.  If the prominence of the chest wall is caused by adipose tissue liposuction  surgery may suffice. If/when the time  comes for surgical intervention, please make sure that you seek consultation with board certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with.You may find the attached link, dedicated to gynecomastia concerns, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Gynecomastia, surgery or continue waiting

Gynecomastia often increases during adolescence and may slightly improve during late teenage years. If your chest fullness has been persistent for several years and if your appearance is affecting your social interaction you should have further consultations regarding possible surgery. Discuss your concerns with your parents and allow them to help you with this difficult decision. 

Andrew Goldberg, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia at age 17

Although there is not any proven statistics on the matter I do not believe that gynecomastia will resolve on its own after puberty is complete or nearly complete. If it is really causing a lot of distress I would suggest you speak to your parents and consider a consultation. 

Gynecomastia at age 17

Gynecomastia can be surgically corrected in teens. It is the only procedure I perform on minors. Discuss this with our parent(s). If you elect to proceed with surgery be sure you find a plastic surgeon with expertise in creating the ideal shape with minimal scarring.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon