Is this a normal looking chest 7 months after gyno surgery? (photos)

7 months ago I got a bilateral gyno surgery. It was pretty large on the left side, noticeable on the right. I'm pleased with the result on the right, but the left side has a noticeable depression, making me a little self-conscious still about removing my shirt in public. Will it heal any more? I tried to pick up lifting weights but it seems like my upper pectoral is building muscle while the lower pectoral isn't, making it even more noticeable.

7 Months Post Bilateral Gyno Surgery

Following #Gynecomastia #surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation #process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

At 7 months, you should be healed from your surgery.  Any residual contour irregularities can be improved upon with fat grafting in my opinion.  Best to discuss your concerns with your surgeon.  Good luck and be safe. 

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS

Concerns after surgery

It's very difficult to tell exactly based on the photos. There is certainly some asymmetry but I can't tell if it's due to over resection of one side or under resection of the other. Perhaps you should return to your surgeon and discuss your concerns.

Contour problem after gynecomastia surgery.

I think you would benefit from some revision on the left side, probably some fat transfer.  This would fill in the depression and also provide some padding between your pectoralis muscle and your nipple area.  Make sure you go back to your gynecomastia surgeon.  He or she surely wants you to have the best result possible.  

Lisa Lynn Sowder, MD

7 month post gyno surgery

Thanks for writing,

The left side below the nipple appears to be tethered to the chest wall. You will probably need a touch up surgery. Fat grafting may be a very good option for you, as it will help even out the depression and will soften the surrounding tissues. You really need a good physical examination to help you understand the problems and your options. A good Board Certified Plastic Surgeon will help you make the correct choice. Good Luck.

Stephen M. Davis, MD, FACS
Green Hills Plastic Surgery