Is massaging with Bio Oil beneficial for scar tissues / lumps developed in chest due to gynecomastia surgery ?

I had gone through gynecomastia surgery (gland removal + liposuction) 11 days ago. Now after 11 days I can feel hard lumps almost everywhere around my chest and axilla. My doctor has adviced me to massage the areas twice a day with vaseline / body lotion. I am using Bio Oil for massaging the chest area. I have read in some article that Bio Oil contains Lavender oil which may cause gynecomastia / man boobs . Is it true or should I continue using it ?

Massaging Lumpy Areas Following Gynecomastia Surgery

Massaging the areas will help soften the scar tissue which feel "lumpy” and irregular areas. This hardening or tight feeling will decreases with time and massaging can help it.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 
The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin.

If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

You should follow the advice of your surgeon.  As for the bio oil, I do not know of any published data that shows any true benefit.  Good luck and be safe. 

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS

Lumps after gynecomastia surgery

Lumps or irregular contour after gynecomastia surgery are not uncommon. The tissues are swollen and healing at different rates. Scar tissue is building up for approximately 6 weeks and will slowly improve over 6-18 months. Massage and slow return to strenuous activity will help to improve your final appearance. Bio Oil may have lavender and there are some inconclusive reports that link lavender to gynecomastia. In light of those reports I would not use the Bio Oil but just plain Vaseline or lotion. 

Andrew Goldberg, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Lumps after gynecomastia surgery

Your surgeon is correct, massage, massage, massage. What makes scar better? Time, pressure, and massage are the top three answers. I don't believe it makes any difference what you massage with, just massage. Think about this: scar works 24 hrs / day and you massage twice a day for 15 minutes. Who is winning the scar race? 24 hours vs 30 minutes. Your scar production won't maximise until 6 weeks.
You also still have swelling and this will take time to get better. A liposuction / gynecomastia vest offers continuous pressure and may help. Stick with you Plastic Surgeon, follow their instructions carefully and completely. You will get past this and do very well. Good Luck

Stephen M. Davis, MD, FACS
Green Hills Plastic Surgery