What is in the gel or liquid they apply to your skin before CoolSculpting?

Is this actual antifreeze? Isn't there reason to be concerned about chemicals absorbed through your skin? I had four CS treatments and each time I thought "I hope this isn't cancer causing!" What is in this liquid/gel?

Coolsculpting

I appreciate your question.
It is skin protectant gel
The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Gel applied before CoolSculpting procedure

The gel pad is essential to protect your skin from the freezing portion of CoolSculpting procedure.  It is a conducting gel impregnated into a thin cotton pad, which is not harmful to the skin or body.

Gel applied Before Applicator Placement

It is essential to apply a thin gel pad to the area of the skin before the applicator is placed.  The gel pad is merely a thin pad that has a thin gel similar to that used when you get an ultrasound procedure.  The gel pad is not irritating in any way.

Thank you for your question. There is a conducting gel impregnated into a thin cotton pad, which is not harmful to the skin or body. The solution is not antifreeze. 

Sincerely yours,  

Martin Jugenburg, MD

CoolSculpting Gel Pad

Though the company maintains that the gel pad is proprietary information, there have been no reports of allergic reactions nor other issues related to the gel.   The gel on the pad is similar to conducting gels used for ultrasound procedures.  

Joseph Franklin, MD
Durham Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting gel

The gel is not anti-freeze for sure!  That stuff would not be good to get on your skin.  Although we don't know for sure what is in it, it is not irritating or harmful.  It is like a conducting gel used for ultrasounds on a pad.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

CoolSculpting Gel Pads--what is it?

Coolsculpting representatives have stated that the gel pad formulation is a proprietary ingredients list they will not share.  My staff recently attended Coolsculpting University earlier this year and were told the same thing.  From what we can tell, it appears to be a mixture of a thin cotton-like pad and a liquid substance similar to ultra-sound gel.  We have not had any patients thus far to have an allergic reaction, although that does not mean that this can't occur.