Would I be a breast reduction candidate? (Photo)

I am 24 years old, 5'5", 145 lbs, and have size 34 h breasts. I have been going to physical therapy for hand weakness and numbness/tingling in my hands, in addition to consistent shoulder and neck pain. Is this surgery right for me?

You Seem to Be a Good Candidate

Your photo and the symptoms you describe do suggest that breast reduction surgery would be a good fit for you. Many of the patients I've seen have complained of similar symptoms. While physical therapy can help alleviate symptoms in the immediate future, treating the underlying cause is the only way to achieve long-lasting relief. From everything you say, I believe that you will benefit tremendously from a breast reduction, but be sure to be seen by a board-certified plastic surgeon for an in-person evaluation.

You Seem to Be a Good Candidate

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Am I a candidate for breast reduction ?

Hi there, given your symptoms and the size of your breasts you are a candidate for breast reduction. 

Your next step would be to meet with a board certified plastic surgeon, who will discuss the process with you and if he/she determines that you are a good candidate will then submit the documents and pictures to your insurance company . The insurance will likely also require supporting documents from your medical doctor reg. medical necessity, from physical therapist if you have had any. Once all these documents have been submitted to insurance , they will review it and let you know about the coverage.

Good luck !

Am I a candidate for breast reduction ?

Good luck !

Breast Reduction

Breast reduction has a very high rate of satisfaction among patients.  Symptoms breast reduction improve include neck pain, shoulder pain, bra strap grooving, and intertrigo.

Additional benefits include improvement in exercise/daily activities as well as finding bras and bathing suits that fit. 

Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to find out if you are a candidate.   Best of luck.

Michael McClure, MD
Altamonte Springs Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction

Michael McClure, MD
Altamonte Springs Plastic Surgeon

Would I be a breast reduction candidate?

Based on your photos, bra size, and symptoms, you are an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery. This surgery should improve your neck and shoulder pain, nerve issues in your hands and the size and shape of your breasts. Thank you for sharing your photos and concerns. Best wishes. Dr. Gregory Park, #plasticsurgery

Candidate for breast reduction surgery?

Thank you for your question and you have all the criteria for this procedure and it will greatly improve you life.  I would find a board certified plastic surgeon to guide you through this process and help you understand what can be achieved and with realistic goals. I hope this works out for you.

Candidate for breast reduction surgery?

Breast Reduction

Hi there!  Thank you for your question and picture.  The symptoms you describe are common in patient's who have enlarged breasts.  While no one can guarantee that a breast reduction will resolve symptoms such as neck and back pain, in most woman with enlarged breasts such as yours, those symptoms are much improved if not completely eradicated.  The surgery requires a scar around the areola and along the lower pole of the breast in a vertical direction.  Sometimes, a scar is required along the crease under your breast.  During surgery, a portion of the breast skin and gland are removed.  Woman can breast feed after a breast reduction and sensation is typically preserved, although there can be alterations in the absolute sensitivity.  It is my belief that you will greatly benefit from a breast reduction.  It is one of the most rewarding surgeries Plastic surgeons perform.  I highly recommend consulting with a board certified Plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Breast Reduction

Your symptoms are nearly classic indications for breast reduction surgery and it would seem very appropriate at your age to proceed.  Some of my happiest of patients are women like yourself who become more athletic and even feel that they stand taller after a breast reduction to a C/D cup size.  Best wishes and good luck.  

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca 

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca 

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Breast reduction candidate

The most common symptoms are shoulder and neck pain, upper back pain. From your photo and story it appears you are a good candidate and would probably have pain relief. All surgery has risks and benefits, and best to review those with a board certified plastic surgeon. Keep in mind the need for scars, the possibility that you won't  be able to breastfeed, possible loss of sensation, and balance that with the improvement of your pain and function with everyday activities. Making your decision knowing all the facts is the best way to go.

Breast reduction candidate

Your symptoms are consistent with the complaints we usually hear from patients who would benefit from a breast reduction. And from your photo as well as your height and weight information you would probably be covered by most health insurance companies. So the question is not in doubt that you are a candidate for the procedure, the only question is will your insurance company cover you. The only way to find that out would be to consult with an experienced surgeon and after an exam have the doctor communicate his findings to the company to see if they authorize the operation. In my experience over the last decade it is clear the insurance companies do everything they can do avoid covering this operation and the majority of our breast reduction patients wind up paying for the surgery as other cosmetic surgery patients, like breast enlargement, do. In any case you will love the results both from the standpoint of symptom improvement and from the cosmetic standpoint also. 

Good candidate for breast reduction

Hello, seeradon. Based on your attached photo and description, it appears that you’d be a great candidate for breast reduction surgery. Breast reduction can provide relief from physical discomfort just like what you’re experiencing.

To ensure the best results, look for a reputable and board-certified plastic surgeon who’s had plenty of experience doing breast reduction surgery before.

Good luck!

Good candidate for breast reduction

Good luck!