Can I get my Medial Crus reduced? (photo)

The bottom of my medial crus near the foot plate seem to splay out causing the spine of my nose to be wide and making my nostrils look like slits. I have been told that my medial crus is collapsed cause the bottom to poke out into my nostrils and causing noduals to poke out the top of my nose giving me a wide tip. If I take tweekers and pinch it I like the look and it improves breathing. What is the least invasive procedure to correct. Can I have the bottom sutured together? like a permanent pinching?

Doctor Answers 3

Reduce the width of the columella

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The width of your columella can be modified by restructuring your medial crura. The cartilages can be reshaped and/or stitched together in order to modify the shape and width. It is a simple procedure that can be done with local anaesthesia.

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

Can I Get My Medial Crura Reduced?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
With a modified nasal tip plasty you can narrow your columella by reducing the space between your medial crura. Although not visible in these pictures you probably have a hanging columella which can also be elevated.

Richard W. Fleming, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

Medial crus binding stitch

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Yes! You can absolutely do that. It's called a medial crus binding suture. I often include it when doing formal rhinoplasty procedures but it could certainly be done in isolation, even under local anesthesia. It requires a small nick in the skin on either side of the columella to allow the suture to fall below the skin and heal correctly.  When done right there is no scarring. Good luck!

Justin Cohen, MD
Washington DC Otolaryngologist

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.