Can I get my Medial Crus reduced? (photo)

The bottom of my medial crus near the foot plate seem to splay out causing the spine of my nose to be wide and making my nostrils look like slits. I have been told that my medial crus is collapsed cause the bottom to poke out into my nostrils and causing noduals to poke out the top of my nose giving me a wide tip. If I take tweekers and pinch it I like the look and it improves breathing. What is the least invasive procedure to correct. Can I have the bottom sutured together? like a permanent pinching?

Reduce the width of the columella

The width of your columella can be modified by restructuring your medial crura. The cartilages can be reshaped and/or stitched together in order to modify the shape and width. It is a simple procedure that can be done with local anaesthesia.

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can I Get My Medial Crura Reduced?

With a modified nasal tip plasty you can narrow your columella by reducing the space between your medial crura. Although not visible in these pictures you probably have a hanging columella which can also be elevated.

Medial crus binding stitch

Yes! You can absolutely do that. It's called a medial crus binding suture. I often include it when doing formal rhinoplasty procedures but it could certainly be done in isolation, even under local anesthesia. It requires a small nick in the skin on either side of the columella to allow the suture to fall below the skin and heal correctly.  When done right there is no scarring. Good luck!

Justin Cohen, MD
Washington DC Otolaryngologist