What are my options for lowering nostrils? I am unhappy with them. A non surgical option would be ideal, but open to all.

I had sinus surgery in 2013 where my doctor cleared out my diseased sinuses but also fixed my septum which was worse than an S. My health has never been better but I'm wondering if the surgery might have turned my nostrils up and higher. What are my options to fix this? What does the recovery look like? Can I go under local or do I have to do general? A non surgical solution would be my first choice (not willing to do silikon1000 after researching). Thank you!

Lowering nostril rims

This is something that surgery can improve. While it can be done under straight local anesthesia, most patients will do better with either sedation or general anesthesia. I am not aware of any non-surgical options that would be of use here.

Alar batten grafts

Hello and thank you for your question. Alar batten grafts can be used to lower the nostrils.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Lowering My Nostrils

Your nostril show can be corrected by elevating your hanging columella (the strip between your nostrils) and lowering your nostril rims with small cartilage grafts. This can be done under local anesthesia or mild sedation. I would not ant to correct this problem using fillers.

How do I drop my nostrils that appear too high?

Thanks for the question.Dropping the height of a nostril can be accomplished by several techniques. The manner of accomplishing this should follow after a thorough examination by a well qualified Plastic Surgeon or Facial Surgeon.  Either composite grafts incorporating skin and cartilage, a cartilage graft alone, or a locall flap are possibilities.  Always start with a thorough physical examination, then carefully assess the advice given and if you are concerned always get a second opinion if you wish.
Good luck to you.
Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa  Plastic Surgeon

Lowering the nostrils

Unfortunately, there are no good non-surgical options for lowering the nostrils. You could benefit from alar rim grafts to reduce columellar show and possibly weir excisions to improve flaring. Given that your septum has already been operated on you would likely need an ear cartilage harvest to provide grafting material. While this could technically all be done under local anesthesia you may prefer to go to sleep. Good luck!

Justin Cohen, MD
Washington DC Otolaryngologist

Alar rim

Waffle123, to correct your flaring you may need cartilage inserted or you may get away with a Weir procedure. It would depend on your exam. See an experienced specialist and good luck! See video

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lowering nostrils

To lower the nostrils cartilage has to be placed on the lateral portions of the tip. This will require a surgical approach, usually done with general anesthesia.

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon