6.5 months post op Gynecomastia surgery, I had indentation after steroid injection. Will it resolve themselves? (photo)

I had gyne surgery 6.5 months ago with a top gyne surgeon. I developed hypertrophic scars. I received steroid injections my doctor said he was conservative with the amount given. After 2 months I noticed a small indentation. Only visible when flexing or raising arms. Also skin thinning on chest contour. In time I was told I could get Fat injections. Will indentations resolve themselves? Will having another procedure be the only option? Can saline injections or fillers help release the skin?

Concerned about Indentation Following Gynocomastia Surgery

Your incisions will go through a maturation #process after gynecomastia surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff. It's possible the indentations can be addressed with cosmetic filler(s) if eligible.

6.5 months post op Gynecomastia surgery, I had indentation after steroid injection. Will it resolve themselves?

First, There are NO only gynecomastia surgeons that ONLY do just that operation. We preform all types of cosmetic surgery. Second, why inject so early in healing phase. This initiated a response of the healing tissue to thin and spread and dissolve. I wait at least 6 months before using steroids. Now only fat grafts will correct in my over the internet opinion... 

Gynecomastia healing

Your result is very nice, but you do have a small dent. The y are probably not going to improve by themselves. Saline and fillers would help,but are temporary. Fat graft is more permanent if felt needed.

Indentations after steroid injection for scarring

Your concern about the indentation will probably not resolve on its own.  In my opinion, I think you have an excellent result. There are options for you if you continue to be concerned regarding fillers. You should discuss such options with your surgeon.

Russell Ashinoff, MD, FACS
Red Bank Plastic Surgeon

Indentations after steroid injection

I do not believe your indentations will self-correct.
The indentations may be from surgery, steroid injections or both.
Gynecomastia is challenging surgery - and this can happen.

Your options are to live with this (your chest at rest looks excellent)
or to improve it with some form of filler that will release the scar and fill in the indentation.
Options include fat Juvederm and other Hayaluronic acid fillers and Radiesse.
Radiesse is probably the best immediate result approach BUT unlike Juvederm it cannot be dissolved if it gets into the wrong area.

I recommend either Juvederm or similar filler or fat injections. Fat injections will improve the skin; juvederm will not. It looks as though there is a significant area to fill in - fat injections will provide more fill at less cost/cc than off-the-shelf fillers. Best wishes.