I'm a 23 year old male who developed puffy nipples. Is there a fix for this? (Photo)

About year ago my nipples got very puffy, and it just doesn't look good. I just wanted to know what kind of operation I would need to have done to get my nipples back to normal, and around how much would it cost?

Doctor Answers 19

About Puffy Nipple Areola Complex

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

"Puffy Nipple Areola Complex" is among the most common forms of gynecomastia. This gland and/or adipose tissue accumulation can be located under the areola or can be slightly extended outside the areola, causing the areola to appear dome shaped.This form of #Gynecomastia can be found in all age groups but is more common in young adults.

As each case is different, it is vital that you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in male breast surgery. The surgeon should determine if you are a suitable candidate for male breast reduction by liposuction or glandular excision. It is also crucial to have a plastic surgeon who is well-versed in the gynecomastia condition can determine if there is firm breast tissue beneath the areola that is causing the nipples to project (which is often the case), and if so, how much of this glandular tissue can be removed to create a flat appearance.
#PuffyNipple surgery generally takes only an hour or two, and the recovery time is short; sometimes less than a week. There is minimal scarring and the success rate is excellent. Therefore, patients who suffer from "Puffy Nipples", and who view it as an unaesthetic and unpleasant condition, may desire surgical intervention to correct the "puffy nipple" condition. 
Men who suffer from large #areolas may notice that after breast surgery, the skin of the chest muscles will tighten, causing the areolas to tighten and diminish in size. This is a result of the removal of glandular and/or adipose tissue.

Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 116 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Puffy nipples sounds like it could be gynecomastia.  Yes, a good treatment exists.  Surgery can remove the puffiness permanently.  Unfortunately, there are no magic pills to make this go away.  Cost ranges from $5,000 to $8,000.

Tim Neavin, MD
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 53 reviews

Puffy nipple

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Puffy nipples are result of underlying breast gland nodules

it can be corrected by an opd procedure under local Anesthesia 

it costs 35000 ₹ including all costs ( also investigations and post operative medications )

Harsh B. Amin, MS, MCh
India Plastic Surgeon

Puffy nipple treatment

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The puffiness of your nipples can be reduced by targeting the tissue that is adding bulk to the area. This would most likely require excision and it can range greatly in price depending on where you are.

Gynecomastia surgery for puffy nipples

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Puffy nipples can be reduced by removing extra breast tissue directly below the areola and nipple. It is often done under local anesthesia as an office procedure. Addtional breast tissue fullness outside of the nipple area is usally removed with liposuction. Exercise will not help this condition. Cost depends on experience of the surgeon, location of the surgery, surgical time,  and type of anesthesia used.

"Puffy Nipples" is gynecomastia

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Puffy nipples, is one of the most common forms of gynecomastia and usually forms in adolescent years. This is due to concentrated breast tissue forming under the nipple areola complex and then pushing the nipple out. Male breast reduction surgery is the solution. Be sure to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon that specializes in gynecomastia surgery. Good luck.

Miguel Delgado, MD
San Francisco Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 81 reviews

Nipples puffed up

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
  • You can have surgery to reduce the excess tissue under the nipple.
  • Usually both surgical removal of the breast tissue and liposuction is done.
  • Given you are, this was not associated with puberty.
  • If you were taking any medications at the time, including steroids, they can cause this.
  • You should also have your regular doctor do a testicular examination - in rare cases, growths in the testes can cause this. These growths need to be removed or treated. Best wishes.

Male breast surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Yes you should get a nice correction with direct excision thru a small peri-areolar incision and probably minimum liposuction. This should be a one time procedures as long as your weight stays about the same..

G. Wesley Price, MD
Chevy Chase Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 10 reviews

Look like a simple excision of the breast buds is all that's needed

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You have small breast buds under your nipple-areolar complexes (might not feel small to you, though).  These can be excised carefully through a small incision from 3-9 o'clock around your existing areola.  Care should be taken not to take too much or you will look worse with a divot.  Cautious and careful surgery will fix this for you.  It can be done under local anesthesia or general for your comfort.


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thanks for sending in your pictures, it helps us out trying to understand your concern. You have a mild gynecomastia, which could be corrected removing extra tissue and/or liposuction, an in person consultation is needed in order to give you an accurate response, good luck!

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 257 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.