Developing scar tissue after Gynecomastia.

I went to my doctor to ask why there is apparent swelling in the right side of chest. After examining he said there is fibrosis -scar tissue.Gave me cortisone and said let's wait for 3 more weeks.I was taking Collagen supplements,he advised that I should stop taking collagen because the scar tissue could be due to those supplements. Do you think those injections will be of any benefit? Will taking collagen during healing process cause scar tissue? What are my options if injections don't work?

What to Expect Post Gynecomastia Surgery

Following #Gynecomastia #surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation #process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of your scar tissue development.  Cortisone injections may help with prevention of scar tissue buildup but I typically recommend aggressive scar massage techniques to address this issue.  I do not think that collagen supplements contributed to your current appearance but based on the amount of time since surgery, allow yourself at least 6 months to determine your long-term results.  Hope this helps.