Compression dressing removal.

i had my gynecomastia surgery yesterday,they put compression dressing and elastic garment,what is the best time to shower,should i take off the compression dressing and stay only in the elastic garment or should i put a new dressing under the garment?!

Compression dressing and post op instructions

Thank you for your question. I would recommend asking your plastic surgeon for specific instructions regarding compression garment and showering.  Best of luck to you!

Ask surgeon for specific instructions

Your surgeon should have given you post-op instructions to follow. This is usually a printout that lists everything you need to do for your aftercare, including instructions on hygiene and compression garment wear. Each surgeon has their own recommendations, but you should really follow your surgeon’s. Please ask for these instructions as soon as you can.

Some Post-Op Hints if Not Provided Already

Here are some post-operative instructions that I provide to the patients in my office. Best of luck to you!COMPRESSION GARMENT:  You will be required to wear a compression garment after surgery for the next few weeks. The extra pressure this garment provides helps reduce swelling and discomfort. You should not remove this garment at all until the second or third day after surgery. After that, feel free to remove the garment temporarily for showering or laundering.  We want you to have circumferential pressure for 4-6 weeks, but you may switch to an exercise compression garment when advised.
SHOWERING: You may shower three days after surgery. TAPING: The doctor may decide to cover your incisions with elastic tape or adhesive foam. On the third or fourth day after surgery, you may peel these off in the shower or bath. This is easier than taking them off “dry.” POSTOPERATIVE VISITS: Your first visit post-op visit will be  3 or 4 days after surgery, once the tape or foam has been removed. EXPOSURE TO SUNLIGHT: It is very important to protect your incisions from the sun. Keep your chest completely covered until your incisions have closed (approx. 2 weeks). After that time, you must wear a high grade sunscreen on your incisions for a minimum of 12 weeks to ensure optimal healing of the scars. ACTIVITY: You should start moving around once you up to it. Moderate walking around will help promote healing. Listen to your body, it will tell you if you are doing too much too soon. Do not return to strenuous activities or aerobic exercise for 4-6 weeks. If you want to know what activities are acceptable at any time during the healing process, please call your surgeon.

Compression dressing and showering.

I think that any immediate post-op questions should be addressed by your surgeon. For my patients, if they only had liposuction for this, I will allow them to shower the next day.

Breast surgery post op

Basicly you need to follow whatever directions your surgeon gave you. If they did not specifly tell about showering you need to contact them. My post op routine for gynecomastia surgery is as follows. I use steristrips over the incision and a compression vest holding a small dressing. I ask the patients to not shower but "sink bath" for a least 2 days to allow the incisions to seal. On day 3-4 they may remove the vest [and machine wash it] and remove the dressing but leave steristrips in place. Shower carefully and pat dry and then hair dryer blow dry the steristrips. Finally put the vest back on. Good luck.