What Treatment Do You Recommend for Yellow Cholesterol Deposits in Under Eye Area?

doctor feels fairly confident that there will be minimal scarring and the shape of my eye will not change. My fear is, if the shape of my eye is changed,can it be corrected?I am nervous about the procedure and skeptical that valium and local anesthesia wld b enough to calm my nerves and have been offered propofol (drug that killed micheal jackson)Is it ok to use this drug for such a short and minor procedure? I had propofol before with no problems for a colonoscopy.

Cholesterol Deposit Treatment

The treatment of Xanthelasma (cholesterol deposits) is fairly easy and painless. A quick injection of Lidocaine to numb the area usually only hurts for 20 seconds. Valium may be given if you feel very anxious. There is usually only minimal bruising and scarring afterwards. The shape of the eyelid should remain the same. Please see your primary care physician to check your cholesterol level. Good luck.

Xanthelasma treatment

These cholesterol deposits around your eye are called xanthelasma. There are many options to treat them including local distraction indirect excision. Local construction can occur with many different modalities, including several lasers.

There are other problems that can look like this, so first off make sure you have the proper diagnosis.

Overall, treatment should not be uncomfortable and your concern over local anesthesia is not one that should limit you having the procedure if you desire to have these removed.

Make sure you see a doctor who is concerned with more than just your cosmetics as well, as these may indicate elevated cholesterol levels that may need addressing for your cardiovascular health.

To guarantee you're receiving the highest level of care, seek out a dermatologic surgeon, oculoplastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon who is board certified and fellowship trained in one of these "core four" cosmetic specialties.

Cameron Chesnut, MD, FAAD, FACMS
Spokane Dermatologic Surgeon

Yellow cholesterol deposits under the eyes

These are called xanthomas and are removed with direct excision under local anesthesia .  Best to have your cholesterol checked, otherwise they can come back

Xanthomas Under Eyes

Dear zany28,

The cholesterol deposits you are referring to are benign growths known as xanthomas. They can be excised in the office with local anesthetic. Hope this helps!

In and out

I recommend removal. Painless, simple and brings much satisfaction. This can be done in clinic with topical or injectable lidocaine. Some patients require more than local anesthesia so valume or even propofol is an option. The more medicines required the higher the risks is for the operation. If you see the right doctor, you should be confident enough and comfortable enough to have it done awake. This is a relatively small procedure. We do a lot of procedures in clinic and have many tricks to make people comfortable while still awake. It really is an art. I will attach a video describing even a face lift in awake patients. It really is the safest option. 

Hope this helps.

DrC

Benjamin Caughlin, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Xanthelasma (Cholesterol Deposit)

Cholesterol deposits or xanthelasmas are common, and can sometimes be associated with underlying systemic issues. Assuming you already had cholesterol levels checked and do not have a family history of certain conditions that are associated with these deposits, surgical removal would be the best way to resolve the issue. Local anesthesia is effective and lasts about 90 minutes. Most patients only require over-the-counter pain relief afterwards (usually Tylenol, either regular or extra-strength). I would suggest seeing an oculoplastic surgeon if you have not already to ensure minimal scarring and to reduce the change of any eyelid malposition issues.

Mahsa Sohrab, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Cholesterol Eye Bags Treatment

Thanks for your question.  There are several methods to treat these, most commonly, they are treated through direct excision or through laser under local anesthesia.  I understand your concerns about using propofol.  I would be concerned as well. Propofol is one of the most effective and common medications for relaxation during surgery, but it should be used with extreme caution!  Only with careful monitoring of your vitals signs AND under the care of a board certified anesthesiologist or CRNA. Best of luck to you!  Dr. Pacella in San Diego.

Xanthoma treatment

These cholesterol deposits can be excised or cauterized in the office using topical and local anesthesia. The treatment should not change the shape of your eye.

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

How to treat Xanthelasma or Yellow Deposits in the Under Eye Area?

Xanthelasma are due to leaky connections in the capillaries in the eyelid region. They can form in the upper lid or lower eyelid. They can occur with normal blood cholesterol, high blood cholesterol, or even low blood cholesterol. They are frustrating because they act as a contrast to the normal surrounding skin. They occur in all skin types and are most noticeable when patients have darker skin surrounding light colored xanthelasma.

They often extend deep beneath the skin into the underlying muscle layer called the orbicularis muscle. 

One option for treatment include surgically cutting them out which results in a small scar. In terms of changing the shape of the eye, if it is very close to the eyelid margin, then it can change the eye shape and possibly result in something called an ectropion or out turning of the eyelid margin. 

In my practice, I have had success using my Dual Pulsed Erbium laser to plane down the xanthelasma layer by layer until they are gone. The skin then regrows itself over this area but this time without the xanthelasma. 

Although the removal process with surgical cutting or laser can both be effective, new xanthelasma can occur in the same area or different areas in the future. I hope this explanation was helpful. 

Adam Scheiner, MD
Tampa Oculoplastic Surgeon

Yellow cholesterol spots around eyelids

The best treatment for yellow cholesterol spots around eyelids is direct excision. Usually this can be done without significantly changing the shape of the eyes, but sometimes it can't. Only your surgeon can determine that. Also these spots can sometimes come back after removal even if cholesterol level in the blood is well controlled. 

James Motlagh, MD
Tyler Plastic Surgeon