What Can I Do About my Skin Fold on One Eye? (photo)

Hello I dont know why I have a skin fold on my left eye only, but it's very very obvious, especially in person. It makes my face look asymmetrical and it's making my tear troughs look hollow. When I turn to the side, I have a very obvious skin fold line on the side of my eye. When I look straight ahead, it just looks weird like the picture shows. Is there something I can do about this? Please, Im desperate. It's making my eye feel very heavy, too.

Doctor Answers 13

Why Do I Have An Extra Skin Fold On My Left Upper Eyelid And How Can I Correct It?

The extra skin fold in your left upper eyelid (picture taken in mirror) is due to either genetic or traumatic injury to the muscle that elevates the upper eyelid (levator palpebrae superioris, LPS).  This situation is referred to as ptosis (droop) of your upper eyelid.  It can be corrected by shortening the tendon of the LPS.  This will eliminate the double fold in your left upper eyelid. 

I recommend you seek an evaluation by a Board Certified plastic surgeon or oculoplastic surgeon experienced in eyelid ptosis surgery.  

Eyelid Surgery for Ptosis

It is apparent in the right upper eyelid you have a double eyelid crease. This is commonly seen when there is weakness of the eyelid muscle. The eyelid position is a few millimeters lower in the right upper eyelid in comparison to the left. This requires a surgical procedure known as ptosis repair. The surgery should result in an even eyelid position and a single eyelid crease. Seek out a board certified surgeon who is comfortable doing ptosis repair.

Robert W. Sheffield, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Eyelid Asymmetry

Your pictures suggest the presence of a unilateral eyelid ptosis. This condition occurs when the muscles that elevate the eyelid become weakened or detached. When this situation arises, surgical correction is usually always necessary. The specific procedure utilized is dependent upon the anatomic deformity.

For this reason, it's important to consult a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in this area. This surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan that addresses your anatomic findings and achieves your aesthetic goals.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 194 reviews

Eyelid asymmetries and fold issues

eyelid asymmetries and fold issues
from the photos , i see fold problems and drooping on the right.
this can be fixed with surgery in this area and reattachment to the muscle

Jed H. Horowitz, MD, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 109 reviews

Upper eyelid asymmetry

Hi. There are a few differences between your upper eyelids.  1)  the extra "skin fold" that you see.  2) right upper eyelid ptosis (droopy upper eyelid) more than left.  3) more fat deflation (hollowness) of the right upper eyelid/brow area.  There are various nonsurgical and surgical options that you may benefit from depending on your goals.  See an oculoplastic surgeon for evaluation and treatment.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 72 reviews

Upper eyelid asymmetry

Based on the photos you appear to have drooping eyelid on one side and that's creating a difference in your eye opening and upper eyelid crease asymmetry. I was wondering if you have this condition all your life or just developed it recently. This can be improved surgically and I recommend that you seek out in person consultation with board certified plastic surgeon and learn about your options. 

Best Wishes,

Stewart Wang, MD FACS, Wang Plastic Surgery

Stewart Wang, MD, FACS
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

What Can I Do About my Skin Fold on One Eye?

Best to seek ONLY in person evaluations. But the degree of "ptosis" seems very minor to the degree of risks for this surgical correction. 

Darryl J. Blinski, MD
Miami Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 173 reviews

What Can I Do About my Skin Fold on One Eye? (photo)

As others have suggested, you have right upper eyelid ptosis which means that the right upper eyelid is lower than the left upper eyelid.  It can cause an asymmetric eyelid crease as well.  You should see an Oculoplastic surgeon if you want to consider correction of the ptosis.

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 16 reviews

This can be corrected


Thank you for the question and photos.  The connection or length of the muscle in the lower eyelid is different then the other.  To correct this, believe it or not, both eye should be corrected since it will be easier to achieve symmetry.  If the lower eyelid is corrected only I suspect that the higher eyelid will naturally drop a little.  This surgery is called ptosis repair.  You should seek consultation with board certified plastic surgeons that have experience in doing so.

All the best,

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD
Scottsdale Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 162 reviews


You do have right eyelid ptosis unless you took the pictures in the mirror! In order to correct that you will need a surgeon who does ptosis surgery often. See the before and after results.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Orange County Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.