When Will Nipple Sensation Return After Lipo for Male Breast Reduction?

I had liposuction for male breast reduction 3 months ago. I had liposuction for the treatment of gynecomastia, i had fat removed but no gland, 3 months later I still have a little bit of tenderness in the lower pectorial area, altought the pain feels superficial, that does not bother me as much as the loss of feeling in my nipple area (numbness).

My sex life has been abit duller since, because when my girlfriend pinches my nipple(s) during foreplay it usually arouses me ;)... i am wondering if the sensation will ever return, or has the nerve been damaged?? is there any ointments or supplements i should have been taking during the post-op recovery time??? if anyone has any advice i would love to hear from you.......from Bra Boy

Sensation Loss After Male Breast Reduction and Liposuction

It is normal to experience numbness around the areola and chest. As your body heals, you may notice random bursts of pain in your chest. This is usually a sign that the numbness is subsiding.

Your incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Nipple Sensation After Gynecomastia Surgery

Hi bra boy,

Thanks for the post. Nipple sensation changes is one of the risks that should be discussed prior to gynecomastia surgery.  It is not unusual to have some sensation change, either hypo or hyper sensation, after surgery. This typically returns to normal within weeks to months of the surgery. However, in some cases it can take up to a year or two for sensation to return. There is always a chance that the sensation change can be permanent, though.

SIncerely,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

This sensation will likely return to normal after 6-8 months.  If the problem persists, definitely communicate your concern with your surgeon.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS

When will nipple sensation return after lipo for male breast reduction?

Hello! Thank you for your question! Numbness after any surgical procedure is expected for several weeks to months following. As the nerves to the area are traumatized and will then experience a temporary neuropraxia, a transient loss of nerve conduction. This usually resolves over the next 6-12 weeks, but depending on the procedure performed, sometimes much longer. Typically this should resolve by 1 year. As it goes past this date, the likelihood of the sensation returning is small. However, it can take up to 2 years. If no return from there, it is unlikely to return. It should be discussed that persistent sensory changes may develop following any surgical procedure.

The usual signs of the nerves regenerating and neuropraxia resolving is itching, followed by a burning sensation and then occasional sharp, shock-like pains. These will be normal to experience, and actually a promising sign. Usually, normal sensation returns, but is is also possible to have decreased sensation or even increased sensation to the areas affected. Re-educating nerves postoperatively is often helpful and will allow proper instruction for the affected sensory nerves - methods include using different textures to the affected areas when showering, bathing, applying lotion, etc. If bothersome, there are some medications that may be helpful, including Neurontin for pain for hypersensitivity. You can try various textures such as washcloths, loofahs, cotton sheets, etc. Massaging the areas is also beneficial for the incision to make the finest scar possible. The last place to regain the sensation will be directly adjacent to the incision/scar as the nerves will make its way from the periphery to this location. If continual pain arises, evaluation is warranted. After ruling out other causes, one rare explanation may be that a neuroma has developed and may require surgical excision. This is very unlikely unless a large sensory nerve has been transected inadvertently during the procedure. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Numbness in Nipple May Take 6-12 Months to Resolve Following Gynecomastia Surgery

It’s not unusual to have numbness following liposuction of the chest. During this procedure the nerve fibers are often traumatized and stretched by the liposuction canula.

In the vast majority of patients this is a temporary phenomena that resolves within six to twelve months of surgery. In many cases patients develop unusual tingling sensations called dyesthesias when nerves start to recover. It’s important to be patient, since most cases of numbness recover with time.

Diminished nipple sensation after gynecomastia liposuction

Whenever the tissues are traumatized, there can be a change in sensitivity, either less or hypertensitivity. This should diminish over time, as will the tenderness. You have a neuropraxia. Keep the scar moistened and apply sun screen when you are exposed to the sun. There are no ointments or supplements necessary. If you have further concerns, please don't hesitate to speak with your plastic surgeon.

Should improve

Liposuction only usually doesn't damage the tissue as much as cutting.  I would suspect it to return to near normal in time.  However, if smart lipo was performed the heat may cause a little more injury.  I would give it time and it is still a risk that sensation change may occur.

Miguel Delgado, MD

Nipple sensation and tenderness after gynecomastia

It is very early after the surgery,but as a role your sensation should improve with time and the numbness,tenderness should improve as well.Just be patience tell us what will happand in a year and after.

Mordcai Blau, MD

Nipple sensation returns in 6 to 12 months.

Hi.

This is really common after male breast reduction. Sensation almost always returns, but it can take a long time.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Return of nipple sensation after liposuction

It is possible to experience a decrease or absence of nipple sensation after liposuction for the correction of time to master. This may be caused by some temporary or permanent damage to the nerves that exit from between the ribs and innervate your nipple. If these nerves have been stretched, the sensation will return in time. However, if these nerves have been cut completely, your sensation may never return. Discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon in review the technique that they used and what areas of your breast they work in.