Male Breast Reduction Recovery

What is the recovery time like after male breast reduction or gynecomastia surgery? What's the healing process like during recovery?

Recovery after gynecomastia surgery

Men with mild gynecomastia usually only require liposuction to remove the tissue which is considered a minor surgery. In situations where liposuction is combined with surgical removal of breast tissue, these procedures are also  done in an outpatient capacity, usually in just over an hour. The patient can be back to work or school after male breast reduction surgery in just a few days and light exercise can begin after 2 weeks with full exercise resuming after about a month. There is usually only mild pain involved that goes away fairly soon.

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Recovery Time after Male Breast Reduction Depends on Procedure Performed

The length recovery and type of garment use after male breast reduction is determined by the particular type of surgery performed.

Length of Recovery:

For the first 2 weeks following all types of surgery, I recommend that patients avoid heavy lifting or straining in order to minimize the chance for post-op bleeding.   After that time, full activity as tolerated is allowed for all procedures.

Full healing strength returns only after 6 weeks, so heavy body contact should be minimized until that point.

Garment Use:

Liposuction: of a “compression garment” for 4 weeks is usually enough to treat post-op swelling and decrease the chance for blood and fluid collections.

Gland Excision: surgical removal of the “gland” will require a bulky gauze dressing with some compression for a week to 10 days.

Gland Excision and Liposuction: a bulky dressing for 7 days along with a compression garment for one month.

Formal Breast Reduction: compression with ace wraps and a gauze wrap is worn one week.  With free nipple grafts, a “tie-over” dressing is essential to prevent bleeding beneath the graft and is removed only after 7-10 days.

Custom compression-type vests offer a better alternative to "Under Armour"- type compression shirts since they are fitted based on the patient’s measurements and the pressure can be adjusted.   Also, custom vests are firmer and tend to wrinkle less than the store bought ones.

I hope that is a helpful answer. Good luck!

Healing after Gynecomastia Surgery

Recovery following gynecomastia surgery is relatively painless and brief. Expect that you can shower, drive, and go back to desk work within a day or two, and that you can exercise after 2 weeks. You will probably need to wear a compression strap over your chest for several weeks to help with healing.

George Sanders, MD

Post-Op Recovery

Minimal gauze dressing is applied following the procedure and an easily concealed support elastic garment is usually worn to minimize swelling and help skin to contract for a 3-4 weeks following surgery. Sutures are typically removed within 7 to 10 days of surgery.
Patients engage in gentle activities of daily living for the first 10 days. No aerobic exercise for at least 3 weeks. Patients may take gentle walks after 10 days.
After the initial healing, gentle massage will help reduce discomfort or firmness.

#healing #recovery

Check with your surgeon

The course of recovery, the pain, restrictions, and healing time vary depending upon the procedure and your surgeon.  There are no averages and you should follow the instructions of your surgeon.

If only liposuction is required it is an easier and swifter process than if tissue needs to be cut out.

In either case my patients are at work in a few days and are at the gym in about 3 weeks if they need an excision and 2 weeks if they just needed liposuction.

Steven Teitelbaum, MD

Gynecomastia recovery

Surgical correction of Gynecomastia usually employs a light general anesthetic and is done on an outpatient same day basis.

Patients generally take 4-7 days off from work depending on the type of job

If all is well, we usually resume Cardio in 5-7 days

A removable protective dressing is helpful in the first week.

Patients shower in 48 hrs

Richard A. D’Amico, MD, FACS
Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Recovery After Gynecomastia Surgery

Hi,

In my practice, most patients return to work between 3-7 days. I have them wear a compression vest for 4-6 weeks depending on the procedure performed. I also limit their strenuous exercise for the same time frame but start them on stretching exercises around week 4. Patients typically recover relatively quickly as this is not a very painful surgery.

Sincerely,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Gynecomastia recovery

Generally speaking, pain will subside in a few days.  You will likely have drains in place for less than a week. These are removed in office without pain.   You will be wrapped for several weeks to allow skin to tighten.  This is a critical component of your care.  Wrap, wrap, wrap!  You can return to exercise in a few weeks. 

Tim Neavin, MD

Recovery

After surgery the patients are asked to take a week off from work.  After that, it is best to refrain from exercise for 1 month.

Male Breast Reduction Recovery

The typical recovery time for gynecomastia reduction is 2 weeks.  This recovery may be longer if skin excision is required.  In my practice, I ask patients to refrain from upper body exertion and wear a compression garment for 8 weeks.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS