Post-Op Gynecomastia (4 weeks) - Very firm and sore lateral chest lumps. What is causing it and what could help it? (Photos)

I had lipo on my chest, abs, and flanks. The only problem areas I have are my lateral chest and pubic area which have very similar firm, immobile, sore patches. My surgeon said that aggressive massage and kneading will help, but I am worried that could add to the inflammation. I've had 5 lymph drainage massages which are not too aggressive. Can this area turn to scar tissue? Could kenalog help? Is the compression garment (tank top) blocking the healing process (it digs in to this exact area)?

Post-Op Gynecomastia (4 weeks) - Very firm and sore lateral chest lumps. What is causing it and what could help it?

Firmness after lipo can represent fluid build up and daily massages are important to maintain. 

Please follow up with your doctor as these issues require the attention of a plastic surgeon.

Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Gynecomastia Surgery Recovery

Hi guy2201,

Thanks for the post and photos. At 4 weeks you are very early in the recovery and it is not unusual to feel and see areas of firmness and lumps. This is normal healing. These will gradually resolve over time but massage, endermologie, and possibly kenalog may be necessary to resolve this more quickly. Follow your plastic surgeon's advice.

Sincerely,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Lumps Following Gynecomastia Surgery

Following #Gynecomastia #surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation #process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

4 weeks post op gynecomastia. What is causing firm and sore lateral chest lumps?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs and congratulations on your procedure as it looks like you will have a nice outcome.  Based on your narrative it sounds as if these areas may be sites of liposuction that still have significant soft tissue swelling from surgery that is being exacerbated by your compression garment.  I would allow your results more time to mature and maintain close follow up with your surgeon to ensure a smooth recovery.  Best wishes.

Liposuction and four weeks post

At four weeks post-op, you are still healing and likely very swollen. You have to give it more time to settle down. If concerned, then review things with your surgeon in person after a good exam.