My nipples have lumps underneath and they seem erect all the time. Do I have gynecomastia? (Photo)

I have always has small lumps since puberty but when I was 18 I took propecia for hair loss and notice my nipples swelling and getting bigger. When I stopped they have stayed there for over two years now. Is it gynocomastia and if so should I leave it or get them removed? It is not as severe as a lot but it does cause pain and it has become noticeable to me now so would I be able to get it sorted without much visible scarring?

Doctor Answers 7

Do I Have Gynecomastia

Hi charliecavzy95,

Thanks for the post and photos. Based on the photos you have gynecomastia. This is likely due to excess breast tissue and not fatty tissue because you are otherwise very lean. The treatment will require excision as liposuction will not remove breast tissue. I recommend you see a plastic surgeon experienced in the procedure. Do not hesitate to travel to have the procedure performed by an expert.


Dr. Dadvand

Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 45 reviews

My nipples have lumps underneath and they seem erect all the time. Do I have gynecomastia? (Photo)

Based on the photos, you seem to have mild gynecomastia. Seek a plastic surgeon who performs many of these procedures, has great reviews and photos, and is an expert in this field.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 289 reviews

"Puffy" Nipple Complex

"Puffy Nipple Areola Complex" is among the most common forms of gynecomastia. This gland and/or adipose tissue accumulation can be located under the areola or can be slightly extended outside the areola, causing the areola to appear dome shaped. This form of Gynecomastia can be found in all age groups but is more common in young adults.

As each case is different, it is vital that a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in male breast surgery is consulted. The surgeon should determine if the patient is a suitable candidate for male breast reduction by liposuction or glandular excision. It is crucial to have a plastic surgeon who is well-versed in the gynecomastia condition can determine if there is firm breast tissue beneath the areola that is causing the nipples to project (which is often the case), and if so, how much of this glandular tissue can be removed to create a flat appearance.

Jed H. Horowitz, MD, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 109 reviews

My nipples have lumps underneath and they seem erect all the time. Do I have gynecomastia?

Thank you for your question and photos.

It will be in your best interests  to be examined by a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon  for accurate diagnosis and treatment recommendations. 

I have found that gynecomastia is often best treated with  partial excision of the prominent glandular tissue  as well as liposuction surgery of the peripheral chest area.  If the prominence of the chest wall is caused by adipose tissue, then liposculpture surgery alone may suffice.

I would strongly suggest that you make sure you are working with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon. You will find that this recommendation will be more important than any specific “miracle technology” that you will undoubtedly hear about.  

I hope this helps.

Tom J. Pousti, MD, FACS
San Diego Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 1,488 reviews

Do I have gynecomastia

Gynecomastia is the appearance of a female like breast in a male. You have classic puffy nipples and you most certainly have some glandular tissue under the areolas. The ONLY treatment is the removal of this tissue. Diet, exercise and pills won't do anything. The scars from this procedure are tiny and insignificant.

This is a condition that is harmless. You would only seek treatment if it is really bothering you and getting into your head. Treatment is straight forward in experienced hands.

Robert Caridi, MD
Austin Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 17 reviews

Mild gynecomastia.Needs excision of the gland.No liposuction

Mild gynecomastia.Needs excision of the gland.No liposuction is needed.U should have good results

Mordcai Blau, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 74 reviews


It does appear that you have mild gynecomastia, but what to do about it is a different question all together.  Many men with more significant gynecomastia wish they had such a mild appearance, and just because you have gynecomastia does not mean surgery is in order.  I would recommend first discussing this with your primary care provider, and depending on your age you may want to get some hormonal tests to see if there are any underlying causes for your situation.  You can also find a local experienced board certified plastic surgeon who can discuss the surgery, recovery, and associated scarring expectations.  I have treated several patients like you with great results, but real surgery is required and you should be well informed about expectations first.

Best wishes, 

Dr. L

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 56 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.