What if major blood vessels are damaged during rhinoplasty? What can be done?

My tip is very cold all the time (many months post rhinoplasty/shawing off hump and bone that I did not want but plastic surgeon did illegaly.) When is the circulation coming back? Winter is coming and I fear the worst that my nose tip will die, I'm enthusiastic outdoor person even when it is as low as -4 F

Blood supply to nasal tip

It is unlikely that your nose is at risk for losing blood supply, especially since you are many months out from surgery. I would not worry about this. 

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

The paired columellar arteries are severed during an open rhinoplasty; however, angular arteries from each side of the nose continue to supply the tip via anastomoses.  This should provide sufficient blood supply even in cold conditions.  If concerned about exposure, it may be best to wait a year after surgery before risking extreme exposure situations.  Best wishes, Dr. T. 

Cold nasal tip after rhinoplasty

The nasal tip has paired blood supply from several arteries so it would be very unusual to severely affect blood flow. To assess flow press on the tip with your finger until it blanches, release, and see how rapidly the color returns. It should be just a few seconds. The other reason for it to feel cold is loss of sensation which may take a year to recover.  I would be concerned if it gets white when in the cold. Hope that helps. 

Mark Loury, MD, FACS
Fort Collins Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cold nasal tip

Dear joshhhi, It is normal to have some numbness after surgery and decreased tip sensation after rhinoplasty. This usually resolves with time. However, this does not explain the cold insensitivity. I recommend following with your rhinoplasty surgeon to have a nasal examination completed to rule out any issues.

Gina Chu, MD
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon