How long after a tummy tuck do you get your energy and stamina back?

Greetings Thank you for your question. Recovery and Results : After the Tummy Tuck operation the recovery period depends on your physical status, age, general health and condition mainly. The operation itself does not take too long therefore you receive a mild anesthesia. Since the anesthesia that you receive is mild; you will not have problems associated with anesthetic agents after the operation. This is especially important and can be achieved with only a team of plastic surgeons like we have. After the operation you will have stiches and bandages which will be removed after the 10th day. You can start to do your daily activities 3 days after the operation but we do not advise you heavy lifting, running or activities that require excess physical activity. The more you rest, the faster your recovery will be.

Tummytuck Recovery

Tummytuck is a fairly substantial procedure and I usually recommend no strenuous activity, like running or working out for 4-6 weeks after surgery. Most of my patients start feeling more normal 2 weeks after surgery, but full recovery falls in that 4-6 week window. After 6 weeks, start shopping for new clothes to compliment your new body, as that should get your blood flowing! A gradual but regular exercise routine also helps improve energy and stamina! Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Tummy tuck recovery

Hello and thank you for your question. Recovery times vary somewhat from patient to patient and depends on the type of tummy tuck procedure performed.  Generally, most patients are almost back to normal by two weeks.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Tummy tuck recovery

Excellent question.  Recovery times differ and it is important to recognize that there are stages in the process.  Anesthesia and prescription pain medication affect patients and lead to feelings of sluggishness.  The demands of your family and job must also be taken into account, particularly if your work involves physical activity or you have small children.  Tummy tuck patients are highly motivated and I find that they  treat the recovery process in a very positive way.Best wishes,Dr Kraft

It takes much longer than you think

When patients ask me how long will it take to recover after a tummy tuck, I usually ask them what they mean by "recover". It's not unusual for a patient to tell me that it takes at least 2 to 3 months until they have their normal energy level back and they don't feel like having a morning nap while at work.Of course, most patients can do most very light activities of daily living within about 5 to 7 days of their surgery.If it's taking you longer than expected to feel like yourself again, don't be surprised or discouraged. If it's taking a little longer than you expected for your energy level to get back up to normal, just be patient.  It will come.....
I hope this helps!
Dr. Robet Shenker. MD FRCSC

Thank you for the good question. It will likely be very helpful to many patients considering tummy tuck or mommy makeover surgery.
The recovery experience will vary from one patient to another but, generally speaking, the recovery experience associated with tummy tuck or mommy makeover surgery is often underestimated by patients. In other words, it is a significant operation associated with a significant recovery, both from the physical (and often) emotional standpoints.  It is not unusual for some patients to require several months before they regain preoperative strength/stamina/energy levels.   What I have observed  is that many patients are about 70 to 80% of their energy level at the 4 to 6 weeks post op period and may require 3 to 4 months before they are 100%.  Again, it is not unusual for patients to experience significant emotional "ups and downs" as well.

I suggest my patients gradually increase their stamina by gradually increasing their “exercise tolerance” while taking frequent naps throughout the day.  I also ask patients to make sure they are paying attention to nutrition (extra protein supplements  if necessary)  and hydration during the  recovery period.

I offer a few words of advice to my patients prior to coming to mommy makeover surgery:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself) and that you have realistic expectations. Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life situation. You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven. 

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation. 

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful. 

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.

5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina of your caretakers. 

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery. 

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies. 

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the emotional swings that you may experience. 

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes.