When can you drink after having a tummy tuck?

I had a tummy tuck exactly two weeks ago and was wondering when I could have a drink? Maybe a glass of wine or margarita. I've been healing great and have had no issues so far I wouldn't want to mess anything up.

Dr derby

Thank you for your question. In general you can say that if you are not on pain medication or antibiotics you can drink something modestly.... but of course you need to discuss this first with your surgeon. Best of luck

Tummy tuck post op

Thank you for your question.  It is always best to first discuss any questions related to your recovery with your operating surgeon first as every surgeon has their own unique set of post operative instructions for their patients.  That being said, in our practice we often advise our patients to refrain from any alcohol consumption for at least 10-14 days after surgery.
With kind regards,
Lane F. Smith, M.D., F.A.A.C.S., F.A.O.H.N.S., F.A.B.F.P.R.S.

Lane Smith, MD

Tummy Tuck and Drinking

Each surgeon has different guidelines for postoperative care. As long as a patient is not on pain medication, patients can generally be able to drink in moderation. Consult with your surgeon as he or she knows the scope of your surgery and the specifics about you.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

When Can You Drink After a Tummy Tuck?

You should check with your surgeon about this, for my patients, as long as they are no longer on pain medication, having alcoholic beverages in moderation should not pose a problem. Good luck

Miguel Delgado, MD

Cocktail?

Thank you for your question. At two weeks out from an uncomplicated tummy tuck, I would say that as long as you are no longer taking any narcotic pain medication, codeine, vicodin,  ultram,  then you are safe. Mixing alcohol with pain medication is a recipe for disaster. It sounds as though you are well along in your recovery and a cocktail would not harm. Always in moderation.Best wishes,

Drinking after TY

Thank you for your question. Please ask your surgeon when it is appropriate to consume alcoholic beverages.   Generally speaking this is not recommended while narcotics are still being utilized.  Best of luck.