Quilting suture still visible after almost a month. (photos)

Hi ! I had a tummy tuck 25 days ago and I have a problem. My surgeon says she has never seen that before: I have a kind of hole in my belly because the quilting suture formed an adhesion. My surgeon told me to have massages done (like cupping for example) to remove this adhesion . I'm really worried... What if the hole doesn't disappear ? Is there any solution to fix the problem ? Thanks for your help and advice (the pictures were taken after 19 days).

Quilting Suture Complication

Thank you for your question and photo.  This dimpling is a known potential risk of using quilting sutures.  Rather than massage or cupping which may or may not release this suture,  a more definitive treatment would be to percutaneoulsy cut the suture to release the tethering from the suture.  If it is done early, it is likely to resolve without causing a permanent indentation.  The longer it goes without treatment, the more likely it is to cause permanent dimpling.  Discuss this matter with your surgeon at your earliest convenience.  Best wishes on your recovery.

Quilting sutures

Thanks for your question. Quilting sutures are placed to avoid the development of a complication called a seroma (a small fluid collection). They are done using dissolving sutures which should disappear over the next 1-2 months. My best advice for this problem would be to remain patient and follow your surgeon's suggestion about massaging the area. All the best.

Ian MacArthur, MD, FRCSC
Ottawa Plastic Surgeon

Quilting suture visibility

Thank you for your question.  The quilting sutures that are placed to encouraged adherence of the skin flap to the muscle are typically the absorbable type, meaning, your body will break them down over time and the suture will disappear. These sutures typically dissolve over 6- 8 weeks. Vicryl sutures (typically used) will break down over 42 days or so (says the manufacturer). Be patient. In all likelihood the suture will dissolve and there will be no outwards signs.Best wishes,