Does this look like a keloid scar? Will cortisone injections work? (photos)

This scar on my leg was formed due to picking an ingrown hair. It looks like a keloid scar to me and hasn't reduced in 2 years. Will cortisone injections help me? How many would I need and approximately how much do cortisone injections cost? Thanks!

Doctor Answers 3

Hypertrophic scar or keloid - Vbeam, CO2RE and steroid injections

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Based on your photo it appears that you would benefit from various lasers and modalities to improve the appearance of your hypertrophic scar.  I would recommend an in-person consultation for exact specifications on treatments.  
The typical patient wanting scar therapy on keloids or hypertrophic scars starts with CO2RE laser and/or Vbeam laser depending on their skin type (color.)  In addition, microneedling is a great option.  Multiple treatments are usually required and injections can be done intermittently as needed.  Our new Sublative Fractional RF handpiece is also a great option with very little downtime.
Hope this helps.  Good luck.

Hypertrophic Scar/Keloid/Dermatofibroma -- Pulsed Dye Laser/VBeam, 5fu/steroids, Fraxel/Viva, CO2, Aerolase

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I would suggest an in person consultation with an expert for evaluation. Hypertrophic scarring should be treated in a combination approach with lasers along with steroid/5fu injections. Please see an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 207 reviews

Scar Therapy

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question. Based on your photo, this looks more like a hypertrophic scar rather than a keloid. Injections of a steroid can help to flatten it. Best wishes.

Greg Chernoff, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 32 reviews

You might also like...

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.