What happens if you don't get fillers (Voluma) redone?

I am a 22 year old with a flat/thin face who would like to get 1 syringe of Voluma for a subtle cheekbone. I have heard that the filler gradually fades away to your face's old state, but this sounds too good to be true. I just want to make sure the skin won't stretch of look strange if I decide I do not want to get the filler redone (for either aesthetic or financial reasons). I imagine that I will metabolize this quicker since I am a younger patient. What should I expect if I don't get it redone?

What happens after Voluma goes away

Thank you for your question.  Based on what your are wanting to try, Voluma will not cause stretching of the skin to the point you develop increased laxity after it is gone.  However, whether you have Voluma or not, you will continue with the aging process which often entails developing more tissue laxity, loss of tissue support and thinning of the tissues.  I would recommend that you go to a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist who can help you with your concerns.

Voluma in a younger patient?

Voluma is approved for cheek (malar) augmentation and is firmer than some of the other 'HA' fillers and usually lasts longer. Being in one's "20s" with a desire to have a more rounded face can be a good thing, so a younger age is not a negative. Like all fillers it is important that a proper volume is used (not too much, not too little) and that it is placed in the ideal place (not too superficial or too near the eyes). Remember that while the filler have been very popular, there are pros & cons to all fillers and there can be risks and unwanted sequelas, so carefully discuss this with your physician beforehand. 

Donn R. Chatham, MD
Louisville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Voluma Injections

I recommend scheduling a consultation with a board certified physician who can assess you in person and help to determine what type of treatment you are the best candidate for. Voluma is a product that has been FDA approved to restore volume to the mid-face area. Depending on how much product is injected, it can last for up to 2 years. If you decide not to be re-treated after it wears off, your face will return to its original state. Your body metabolizes the product and leaves your skin completely in-tact. It is important to keep in mind that every year, your face likely loses 2-3 cc's of volume, so when Voluma fades you may notice some aging changes that have taken place over that two year period. I use Voluma in my practice on an almost daily basis, as it is a safe and effective product to treat volume loss. If you decide to proceed with Voluma injections sure to find a physician who has experience using the product to ensure that you get the best result possible.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Voluma after 2 years

Thank you for your question.  This is a very common concern for patients but interestingly Voluma is indicated for 2 years, and in many patients even after the Voluma has been degraded they feel that there appearance is improved or even better than prior to the Voluma placement 2 years earlier.  Your skin is very elastic and is unlikely to have any problems.  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon

What Happens if you Do Not Maintain Fillers?

Great question!  Patients are frequently worried about this.  In your case, your skin is likely very elastic and you are having only a small amount injected, so you should not worry.  Even if you decided to have a larger amount injected, your skin should bounce back to its previous state.
In theory someone with very poor skin quality who has a very large amount of filler injected could have some laxity afterwards.  I have been injecting for many years, and have never seen this.  In fact, most patients tend to have an improved skin quality from collagen stimulation.

Voluma treatment

Due to the conservative amount of product you are considering for injection you can expect you will have essentially no change once the product wears away.  This product lasts for up to 2 years and the results will fade slowly over time.

Camille Cash, MD

What happens if you don't get filler (Voluma) redone?

There is no harm in not having further Voluma injected.  The product should last up to 2 years before it is gradually resorbed.  Being younger, should not significantly affect the speed of resorption.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Stopping to get Fillers

if he is not getting Fillers done, your face will essentially go back to where it would have been if you never had Fillers done in the 1st place.

What happens if you don't get fillers redone

Thank you for your question.  If you don't get fillers redone, the filler will slowly resorb and your face will return to its previous appearance.  This will happen over months so your face will not suddenly change.

Life after Voluma

That is a great question! Adding 1 syringe of Voluma will not stretch the skin. When the Voluma dissolves your face will return to its previous state. You should not have more skin laxity or look older than your baseline. Make sure to consult a board certified dermatologist who specialized in Voluma. Take care.

Anne Marie Tremaine, MD
Naples Dermatologic Surgeon