Voluma or Sculptra for submalar area and temples? I have lost a lot of volume in the submalar and temple area

I have lost a lot of volume in the submallar and temple area I wanted to try sculptra but im afraid of nodules and getting an autoimmune response can I get the same results with volume? Im also seeying pictures of doctors in Colorado that have use volume in the cheeks but I feel like theres no too much difference can I ask for more if I feel like I need it?

Voluma or Sculptra for submalar area and temples? I have lost a lot of volume in the submalar and temple area.

For the submalar area, Voluma will give you a more notable and immediate effect than the Sculptra.  Sculpa should work well in the temple area but the results do take time to develop and are less controllable/predictable than the Voluma.  Yes, you can ask for more Voluma.  In general, one half to two cc's of Voluma can be injected into each premalar/submalar area.  Further Voluma can be added but I would suggest waiting a couple of weeks to see what your long term result will be before adding more.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  Voluma is a very thick hyaluronic acid (or HA) gel that is placed deeper into the skin than other fillers. With results than can last upwards of two years, patients have been pleased with its results in the submalar and temple areas. The added benefit of Voluma is that after the injection is performed, the results are immediate. What you see in the mirror is largely what you are going to have and maintain. Other fillers require some water absorption to take place before final results are seen. As a result, you can have Voluma administered, and if you would like additional correction, then another vial can be opened and used. Always easier to add filler than to take some away. Hope that this helps.

Voluma or Sculptra for Temples and Cheeks

Voluma is a filler which is FDA-approved for volumizing the mid-face.  It is an excellent choice for the apples of the cheeks and to put along the cheekbones.  It can last up to two years, but most patients who want to keep an ample effect will repeat treatments at 1 to 1.5 years.  Results are seen immediately after treatment.

Sculptra is a collagen stimulater and takes a series of treatments and time to see the effect.  While it takes longer to have results, it tends to last about two years.  Sculptra had more issues of lumping when it was first released.  Now, it is mixed differently and tends not to have as high of an incidence of lumping.  It is an excellent product to use in the temples.  It also does well in the softer area of the cheeks where products like Juvederm/Voluma may become uneven.

The best thing to do is to see an experienced injector who uses both products in order to get an opinion as to what is best for you.  Good luck!

Filler for temple and cheeks

Hi there,

Voluma is one of the fillers that is FDA approved for the cheeks (the other is Restylane lyft). It lasts 2 years which patients are excited about (especially patients who had fillers before and liked it). You could use voluma or another filler in the temple, but it would be "off label". Meaning the FDA has not given its approval. Many fillers have been used off label and in the hands of an experienced injector are safe. 

Cheeks can be hard to evaluate in a two dimensional photo. The side view that shows three quarters of the face is sometimes the best photo or looking at the cheeks from above the face. I do think cheek fillers can make a big difference. The face has more volume and does not look like it is sagging. The patient looks much more youthful, but it can be hard to show it on pictures. Sometimes 3D pictures are better. 

I understand your hesitation with Sculptra. I use it and like the results. I particularly like it for the temple and full face volume restoration. You do need repeat injections to get the results you are looking for. I have not had problems with nodules. At the beginning the preparation for Sculptra was more concentrated than it currently is. Go to an experienced injector that can discuss the pros and cons after evaluating your face. 

Good luck!

Myriam Loyo, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Voluma and Sculptra are both good for submalar and temple areas

Both Sculptra and Voluma are great options for adding volume to the submalar and temple areas. Nodules are not common with Sculptra, as long as your injector mixes appropriate amounts of the product with water and anesthetic. The results of Voluma are instant upon injection, but the product degrades over time as it is a sugar based gel. The results of a series of Sculptra occurs over 3-6 months resulting in your body's own collagen production in the areas injected. Most patients benefit from a combination of both--start with Voluma and augment it with Sculptra.

Ava Shamban, MD
Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon

Regarding Voluma

I use both Voluma and Sculptra and I've had great results with both. I prefer Voluma for the cheeks because in my hands it gives a natural, dependable look that does not require repeated treatments (as with Sculptra). It is also very effective for temporal hollowing. 

In an experienced injector's hands, I would not worry about Sculptra causing nodules. To echo what the other doctors have been saying, it is really not an issue with the latest iteration of Sculptra.

I do not have the benefit of examining you, but another thing to consider would be fat grafting. If you have fat in your abdomen and thighs, it can be transferred to your face after liposculpting. The advantage is that at one year, the fat you keep is permanent. Because it is your own tissue, there is no risk of inflammatory reactions. 

Best regards.

Nirmal Nathan, MD
Plantation Physician

Scultra for Temples

Sculptra works extremely well for the temples.  In fact, there is little risk at all if done properly with lumps or any other problems.  I love Sculptra in this area and it lasts more than two years after the series is completed.  Best, Dr. Green