Cannot dissolve Voluma. How would I know if I have granuloma? Would 5 FU injections or kenalog conservative injections work?

after the 18 th treatment it is time to give up on dissolving voluma. it will never happen. i either have fake voluma or filler granuloma. my face is asymmetrical and i do not know what to do next? 5 fu? kenalog? please advise. thanks

Voluma Dilemma

It's difficult to tell from your picture. I recommend a formal evaluation with an expert to determine next steps, whether kenalog and/or 5 FU. I do 5f/steroids for all my patients with filler complications. Best, Dr. Emer

Bumps/swelling from Voluma

There are some patients that get reactions to Voluma that are unrelated to the injector. These include bumps and nodules. If not responding to hyaluronidase, I'd try 5FU +/- kenalog. I heard that these occur with all the Vycross products.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Thank you for your question and photograph.  If the dermatologists and plastic surgeons you have seen feel that the lumps are granulomas a steroid injection like kenalog may be useful to help soften and dissolve the lumps but this injection must be done carefully to avoid secondary complications.  If the masses are close to the skin surface a small incision may also allow expression of the material. Hope this helps.