I had Voluma in May. I have small hard lumps under my eyes near the top of the mid cheek. When will they dissolve/disappear?

The lumps/bumps aren't visible to the eye but I can feel them with my fingers when applying makeup. They feel almost like hard crystals or gristle. I imagine this must the product breaking down- but I'm concerned when they will go.

Voluma and Lumps/Bumps

Thanks for your question!  The lumps/bumps you are feeling is likely the Voluma.  If they bother you, I suggest returning to your injector to have them dissolved with hyaluronidase.  Otherwise, they will continue to go away with time on their own.  Best of luck!

Hard lumps after Volume placed under the eyes

Thanks for your question.  As others have mentioned, for a patient in my practice (although I don't put Voluma under the eyes), if you can't see the lumps but can only feel them then you can decide to leave it if you are happy with the result.  If the lumps bother you then you can have them inject hyaluronidase (which may be an added cost to you) to dissolve it.  Best of luck to you.  

Jeffrey G. Lind II, MD
The Woodlands General Surgeon

Voluma and Lumps

Voluma is a fabulous injection for the mid face.  However, if you are having lumps that are still affecting you I would return for Vitrase to dissolve it.  Best, Dr.  Green

Voluma results

The lumps you have described are almost certainly the product. This occurs because the skin under the eyes is very thin. If it bothers you, I recommend you followup with your injector and discuss having it reversed with hyaluronidase injection. If it doesn't bother you, just know that it will go away on its own with time as the Voluma dissolves. 

Thank you for sharing your question and I am sorry to hear of your undereye/cheek lumps.  If the bumps do not affect your appearance and you are able to overlook the firmness of the product there is nothing that you would need to do acutely.  If however the lumps are concerning your injector can dissolve the material with injection of a different medication called hyaluronidase.  Hope that this helps.

You could either wait for the filler to dissolve or have you injector place some hyaluronidase there and have them dissolved.

Voluma Lumps

What you describe is almost certainly lumps from the Voluma product. The skin under the eye is very thin and a small amount of unevenness can result in palpable lumps. You have two choices. 1. Do nothing...the Voluma will resorb and go away. It may take a few years. 2. Wydase injection...this will dissolve the Voluma. You can have your doctor try a small amount, but it is possible that all of the Voluma will go away after the injection.

Knowing What's Normal With Voluma

It could be that you're feeling product that hasn't dissolved yet. Voluma takes 12-18 months to completely dissolve. If you're concerned, I recommend contacting your injector. If you're unhappy with these results, you can try a different filler next time. Best, Dr. Emer

Voluma still being felt

Sometimes for the first couple weeks, product can be felt in this area. After that, the product shouldn't normally be felt. If it is, discuss with your doctor. It can be dissolved if it is bothersome. I prefer Restylane for this area. Voluma's duration is overstated in my opinion and is similar to all other HA products at about 1 year. See link.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Feeling Product after Injections

Thank you for your question. It is normal to feel product after it is injected - especially a firm product like Voluma. As long as you can't see it, then there really is no need for concern. Clinical studies have demonstrated that the majority of the product placed in the cheek region lasts approximately 18 months to 2 years. If it is something that continues to bother you, you can have it dissolved; however, you will likely lose the lifting effect that the product provides. Best of luck.