Bad scar on one ear after otoplasty (Photo)

7 months ago i had surgery on both my ears and since then i've had a horrible scar on my left ear. What kind of scar is this? And is there anything that can be done about it?

Scarring after otoplasty

Based on your photos, it appears that you may have developed a hypertrophic scar along your incision. These can be treated with steroid injections and silicone gel or sheeting. I would recommend returning to your surgeon for a formal evaluation and discussion of options. Good luck!

Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty scar

This far out, it looks like you've developed a hypertrophic scar. This can occur with ear surgery, and may require steroid injections to help soften overtime. 

Your surgeon should be able to get this easily taken care of. 

Haena Kim, MD
Walnut Creek Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bad scar on one ear after otoplasty

It looks as though a hypertrophic scar or keloid has developed along the incision. You’ve already received an answer as to how this is treated. Thank goodness there is the minimally invasive stitch method in the meantime, by which no incisions are made anymore. Hypertrophic scars and keloids are no longer possible with this method because, according to its inventor, the only wounds are just the needle stitch points and the 2 to 3mm tiny stab incisions.

Waldemar Merck, MD
Germany Plastic Surgeon

Ear Scars after Otoplasty

Thank you for your question.  The scar behind your ear appears a bit thickened.  This is common and could be a hypertrophic scar.     I always examine my patients about 3 months following surgery, when a thickened scar can try to form.   Hypertrophic scars are treated quite easily with kenalog injections.  Please see your doctor for a re-evaluation.  Best wishes!

Stephen Bresnick, MD